Question

comctl32.ocx: 'A File is Missing or Invalid' error

samsam24 asked on

When trying to run a particular executable I get the error: "Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". I looked around on the internet and I've downloaded this file and put it into System32 Folder. I also tried using 'regsvr32 \windows\system32\comctl32.ocx', but that came up with an error too. I've tried putting in comdlg32.ocx aswell but it didn't work.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm on Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit.

73 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
KrisEMT replied on

When trying to run a particular executable I get the error: "Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". I looked around on the internet and I've downloaded this file and put it into System32 Folder. I also tried using 'regsvr32 \windows\system32\comctl32.ocx', but that came up with an error too. I've tried putting in comdlg32.ocx aswell but it didn't work.

This is how I fixed my problem (I have Windows 7 64 bit version)

Go to:

Start

Computer

(C) drive

Windows

find the file SysWOW64 and click on it

scroll down to cmd    then right click on it and "Run as Administrator"

type the following:  regsvr32 comctl32.ocx and then press enter on your keyboard

that is all I needed and it fixed the problem

Hope this helps

Kris

23 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

Hi

What is the name of the 'particular executable'? You need to check with the developer of that program to make sure it works on the 64bit version of Windows 7. Most 32bit programs will work on the 64bit version of Windows, but some do not.

If this is a 32bit program, Windows 7 will automatically detect this, place the files in the proper folders, and registry the files. However, if you are performing this manually, you need to understand the differences between the 32bit and 64bit versions.

The folder/file structure is a bit different in the 64bit version. Windows 64bit includes an emulator that allows 32bit programs to run just as if they were installed on a 32bit version of Windows.

In this version you will see a C:\Program Files folder where all 64bit programs are installed. There is also a C:\Program Files (x86) folder where all of the 32bit programs are installed.

There is also a C:\Windows\System32 folder that contains all of the 64bit system files. (This name was retained in the 64bit version because so many 64bit programs were hard coded to look for this folder name) 

You will also see a C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder which contains all of the 32bit system files that the installed 32bit programs use. (Just for reference, the WOW in that folder name means 'Windows On Windows)

These Active X Controls are usually installed by third party programs that use them. If you downloaded this file from another location, are you sure that it's the correct version number for that program?

The correct location in the 64bit version of Windows 7 to place the comctrl32.ocx file is the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.

This also applies to the command prompt when you run the regsvr32 to register this file. You must use the 32bit version of cmd.exe that is also located in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder. You must also run the cmd.exe elevated (right click cmd.exe and select the Run As Administrator option).

Please see the following links for more information.

Taking the mystery out of 64-bit Windows

Understanding hardware and software for 64-bit Windows

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

WoW64

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP
15 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress