Q: Can't create anymore New Folders in Windows 7 This thread is locked from future replies

Well this problem only began today after installing and uninstalling some free Antivirus software that I was trying out for the first time. Before that, I was about to install a new burning program and I decided to create a manual restore point first, in case anything went wrong. After installing Microsoft Security Essentials, I'm not too sure if that caused the problem but that's when I noticed that I couldn't create anymore new folders when I click the New Folder button in Explorer or when I right-click and select New, there would be no New Folder option. I have a hunch that this could most likely be some sort of registry problem but I've got practically no idea how to manually re-enable this in the registry. There was a few solutions lying around that showed some tips on editing the Context Menu but everytime I tried to edit the registry, I get an error saying that the changes could not be saved. I even download the ShellEX utility but it reported the New Folder option as enabled when it clearly wasn't or just wasn't functioning as it should. I'm going to try using System Restore to reload the manual restore point I had created, which I was when I was pretty sure that everythng was working just fine. Hopefully this would solve my little problem, because there's no more critical updates for me to install that just might resolve the issue. I'm hoping though that anyone who has an alternative solution from what I'm about to do can provide the specifics by replying to this. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Hi Sop_the_Otaku,

-      Where exactly are you trying to create a new folder? Is it somewhere in the C drive or on the desktop?

However, you may follow the steps below and let us know the result.

Step 1

Try to use command prompt and try to create a new folder and check if you can create one.

To do this, follow the steps below:

1.    Click on Start.

2.    In the start search box type CMD and press enter.

3.    Type cd.. and press enter, repeat cd.. and press enter until you get c:

4.  Now, type the following in the command prompt:mkdir folderName
Here, folderName will be the desired folder name

5.    Check if the folder is created in C drive

Step 2

Access the link below and follow the steps suggested by Linda YanonMonday, May 24, 2010 8:38 AM and check if it helps you fix the issue.

Step 3

If the above steps fail perform a system restore on your computer and check if it helps you create a new folder

To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

2. In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click on Next.

3. In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click on Next.

4. Click Finish.

The computer restarts, and the system files and settings are returned to the state that they were in at the time that the restore point was created.

Access the link below to know about system restore:

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

23 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 351,961 Last updated: March 23, 2018 Applies to: