can not find the "program data" folder.

original title: Program Data - new to Windows 7

I just purchased a new computer with windows 7.  I am now installing programs, for example, installed a program to C:\program data\Quantum.  Than I go to "my computer" and can not find the "program data" folder.  Is it possible that windows is hiding it?

Sandy
Answer
Answer

Hi Sandy

The Program Data folder replaced the All Users folder in previous versions of Windows.

Open Windows Explorer. Click Organize / Folder and Search Options / View Tab.

Select the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives option and click Apply/OK.

Navigate to C:\Users. In that folder, you will see a folder named All Users with a Shortcut Arrow or padlock overlay icon. This is a Symbolic Link that points to the ProgramData folder. Right click that folder and select Properties to see this data.

Your programs are not being installed just to the ProgramData folder. This folder is used to allow any user (All Users) to access a program that is installed that allows any user to operate that program.

Many times, when you install a program, you will see an option to install the program for the current user only or to install for all users.

Another way you can see this is to click the Start Button, right click All Programs and select Open All Users. This will open Windows Explorer to the

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

71 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Yes program data is a hidden folder, because it contains, as its name suggests, data of programs and really shouldn't be touched, unless you know what you're doing.

You should be installing programs to program files, that's the proper default place for programs to be installed. And since program files isn't a hidden folder, you can easily find it in my computer.

If my reply helped, please mark it as helpful
If it fixed your problem, please mark it as the answer

75 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2020 Views 307,340 Applies to: