All of my desktop icons are superimposed with a second program icon.

All of my desktop icons (files and folders) have a smaller second icon superimposed on top of them.  It is for an old HP program that came with my computer that has since been uninstalled.  The files and folders all open normally in the programs they are supposed to, but I can't figure out why this HP icon is showing on everything.  I have noticed that when I reboot my computer the extra icon doesn't appear until the very end of the startup cycle.  Before that, everything looks normal.  This doesn't seem to be affecting how my computer works, but it is SUPER ANNOYING especially since I can't figure it out.  Help?

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2019 Views 716 Applies to:

Because you mentioned the delay in them showing up, I believe there is a program running that is placing them there.  This program may have been part of what was removed.  Typically these stay down by the clock on the taskbar as small icons, and you can exit them by right-clicking.  For examples, SkyDrive, Carbonite Backup, and Norton Antivirus all place these superimposed icons (badges) over files that have been synchronized, backed up, or scanned.  Existing the program makes the icons disappear when the folder is refreshed.

If you don't see the program there, you can run the program MSCONFIG from the Start menu search box and use the Startup tab there to try to identify what program is running at the end of the startup sequence to place those badges on your files.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The taskbar icon disappeared when I removed the program, but I did go into MSCONFIG and unchecked HP Launchbox under the startup tab.  I restarted my computer, but the dratted icons are still coming back at the end of the startup sequence.  Any other ideas?  : (

Sorry this didn't help.

Just including a new development in my icon issue.

The HP Launchbox icon has disappeared, but now Notepad's icon is superimposed on all files and folders on my desktop.  Stranger and stranger...

Sorry this didn't help.

All icons, or just shortcuts?  That is, is this icon showing up in place of the normal shortcut arrow?
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

Shortcuts are completely unaffected and the arrows are all there.  The issue is only with folders and files on the desktop.  The usual yellow folder or file icon will be there.  But over top of it, smaller and to the bottom left, is the notepad icon.   

Sorry this didn't help.