All my files and folders have become read-only and cannot be changed.

All of a sudden all my files have become read-only.  I discovered the problem when trying to rotate a picture in photo gallery or through exploere.  I received the message "Couldn't rotate ...... it might be read-only or in a location that is unavailable" OR "You cannot rotate this image. The file might be in use or open in another program, or the file or folder might be read-only".  I have checked the permissions and the read-only box is ticked, but if I untick this and apply (to either the file or folder) then it does its business but automatically defaults back to read-only.  I have run a virus scan (Kaspersky) and ran Malwarebytes and both are clean.

Please can someone help me.

Thanks

Chris

|
Answer
Answer

Chris-Park,

Welcome to the Microsoft Answers Community. Let’s try a couple of different things:

1.     Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.

2.     Click the Security tab.

3.     Click a user name or group under Group or user names.

The permissions for the selected user or group are shown in the lower portion of the properties dialog box.

To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Vista or Windows 7

1.      Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER..

2.      To view the syntax for the Attrib command, type attrib /? at the command prompt.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r +s c:\test

Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:

attrib -r -s drive:\<path>\<foldername>

For example, to remove both the Read-only and the System attributes from the C:\Test folder, use the following command:

attrib -r -s c:\test

If the Run command is not listed on the Start menu, do the following:

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.

Please let me know if you continue to experience the problem. *more information is included in KB 326549

Lisa
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 22, 2021 Views 52,141 Applies to: