After doing Windows 7 backup to an external drive, files that were previously on that drive are no longer found

Hi,

I got a new compute recently with Windows Premium Home on it.  As part of the initial setup, I was prompted as to whether I wanted backups performed.  I thought, "Sure, sound like a good idea".  I went ahead and did an initial backup and scheduled others.  The drive I indicated where the backups could go is a Free Agent external hard drive.  I figured the backup would just create a folder or system of folders to put the backups in.  The external hard drive had 7 years of family photos, music files, etc. already on it.  I had no idea that the backup would touch these, and when I went to look for them I believe I've found that the backup utility erased them all.  I'm heartbroken over this, for they were the only copies.  Is there any way to recover some or all of them?  I'm trying a recovery utility called Recuva and using deep scan....if that does not work I can go to professional recovery people, but I just have to recover them, or a huge chunk of my family's life in photos is gone.

Gary Rensink

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

*original title - Windows 7 backup used a external hard drive.  Prexisting files on that drive I can no longer find.  Did the backup utility delete them, and if so can they be recovered?*

Answer
Answer

Hi Gary,

1.       Did you backup the files using the Windows backup utility or any other backup software?

Step 1: You may refer the link provided below and check if that helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Recover-lost-or-deleted-files

If the above steps did not help then I would suggest you to use any third party recovery tool in order to recover the old data. You may use your favorite search engine and search for any recovery software in the internet to get the old data back.

Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 78 Applies to: