Program used in Win 7 to open Zip Files

Downloaded zip files.  Accidentally tried to "open with" windows photo viewer.   All zip files changed.  Can't find what program to use as default for the zip files now.   Tried several that were listed with in "open with", but didn't work, and when I browsed, I didn't know what to try.   Can anyone help?  I have checked out the control panel default settings, but I don't know which one to use to bring back the zip files, so I can extract them.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2018 Views 25,403 Applies to:
Answer

Downloaded zip files.  Accidentally tried to "open with" windows photo viewer.   All zip files changed.  Can't find what program to use as default for the zip files now.   Tried several that were listed with in "open with", but didn't work, and when I browsed, I didn't know what to try.   Can anyone help?  I have checked out the control panel default settings, but I don't know which one to use to bring back the zip files, so I can extract them.

Hi PoJo1

Go to the following website.

File Association Fixes for Windows 7

In the list of file types, right click the 'Zip' type and select Save target as... Download the file to the Desktop.

Go to the Desktop, right click the zip_fix_w7.reg file and select the Merge option. If you get a popup message about the registry, select to OK to merge.

This will refresh the integrated zip functions.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.