Question

Q: Search for files on my external hard drive

I had created a manual backup files on my external hard drive by creating a folder with my computer name and moving the files to that folder.  Yesterday I decided to create a backup of my computer using the windows backup feature so it created a backupfolder on my external hard drive using the name of my computer. I'm guessing the backup software merged with the preexisting folder since they both were named the same thing. Now the folder that I manually backed up my files to is no longer accesible. I can't search for files or use the explorer window to look for files in it. It is treated as a backup folder. Although I have no way of accessing my files, I know that they were not deleted on my external hard drive because the backup of my pc was 50gb large. My computer says that the external hard drive has 771gb of free space meaning the windows backup software did not overwrite the preexisting folder. My manual backup is still taking up space on the external hard drive. It just changed the folder so I cannot look through it or search for files. How do I change this folder so I can get to my old files?

Answer

A:

I"m soo happy!!! I got my files back! I copied the folder where my items were backed up to and pasted it. I was able to browse and easily access my data like as if it were items in a normal file. I can't believe all this time the solution was soo simple. So now I still have my itunes purchases , other videos, and ect! Thankyou "trekdozer" for taking the time to try to help though.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 7,044 Last updated: May 14, 2018 Applies to: