Computer has duplicate set of program files.

New Gateway Computer/All in One/64bit/more space than I've ever had and operates okay.  The computer files reflect "Program Files" and then "Program Files (86)".  Many appear to be duplicates.  If I merge these files, will it adversely affect the performance of the computer?  Can some of the files in the "Program Files" that are the exact same files as are in "Program Files (86)" be deleted or would that automatically be done with a drag and drop manuever?  I'm really confused.  I did ask Gateway, but they would not answer the question and just referred me to the manual -- it does not address this issue.  Can anyone out there help me with this intriguing but irritating mystery?

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 1,018 Applies to:
Answer
Hoorah!!! Thank you Ronnie Vernon!  You got through and I do understand.  I somehow discerned that there was a separation between the 32 bit and 64 bit program files (had it just the opposite of what you explained), but thought they could be merged.  You finally made me understand that the computer must have a direction to differentiate between the two.  I did finally get a response from Gateway (who had previously ignored my pleas for help), but they only said they did not 'recommend' the files be merged or deleted, but not why.  I now have a clear picture and will leave them alone.  It all makes sense to me now and I am grateful for your help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Please define "normal"?  Why do I need duplicate program files?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.