Can't access file type associations using Default Programs. Windows explorer stops working

When I go to Default Programs and select "Associate a file type or protocol with a program", I get the message "Windows explorer has stopped working" then "Windows is checking for a solution", then "windows explorer is restarting" then the dialog disappears, sending me back to the desktop.  Running win7 ultimate 32bit.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 1,145 Applies to:
Answer

Glennwarner,

Welcome to the Microsoft Answers Community.

I’m sorry for the late reply, Glenn. I was filtering by posts that had not received a reply, and since you replied on your own, I mistakenly missed it.

Please try starting your computer in safe mode. Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer with only basic services and functionality. If an existing problem doesn't reappear when you start Windows in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers as possible causes. 

I would recommend disabling 3rd party applications to see if they are causing the issue. Please try a “clean boot”  to see if any background programs are interfering.

Also, if you are using Firefox, some people have has success in removing add-ons in Firefox (mentioned in Firefox crashes explorer.exe)

I look forward to hearing back from you to see if any of this helped.

Lisa
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.