Windows 7 64bit doesn't distinguish between IE8 64 bit and IE8 32 bit when attempting to set a default browser using the Control Panel Default Programs 'Associate' utility.

My new Windows 7 64 bit PC (luv that i7 920 Intel CPU) came installed with both IE8-64 bit and IE8-32 bit (nothing more need be said regarding the absurdity of having to deal with this in the first place - I should have gone with the Imac). Anyway, IE64 bit lacks the flash player cuz Adobe hasn't released a 64 bit version yet, per their website. So I can't use IE64 with XM online music stream (et al). IE32, on the other hand, supports flash player, but won't successfully link to various embedded hypertext links, such as those embedded in an email. My initial solution was to use Firefox, which served me well until an application from a local vendor will ONLY work with Internet Explorer. Sigh.

I've used Windows since Version 2 back in the 1980s, have become stoic, and can emtionally cope with having to use 3 browsers to get the job done.

However, just for fun, my current burning question is, with two different versions of IE8 (64 bit and 32 bit) installed into Windows 7, why doesn't the Control Panel Defualt Applications utility seem to aware of the fact that there are indeed two different versions iinstalled? It lists Firefox and Internet Explorer, but does not differentiate between the two flavors of IE. My goal was to set IE8 64 bit as the default browser temporarilly to accomodate the vendor's application.

FYI, by setting the default, I refer to: Control Panel | Default Programs | Associate a File Type or Protocol with a Program. Then scroll down to 'HTTP' and click on the Change Program button. So in my case, Firefox and only one instance of Internet Explorer, with no bit distinction, display as selection options.

Regards.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 866 Applies to:
Answer
Hi

You cannot set the 64bit version of Internet Explorer for the reason you already described with Adobe. There are still too many add-ons that are not yet compatible with the 64bit browser.

There is a good Q and A by Eric Lawrence, a Program Manager on the IE team at the following location that explains this further.

EricLaw's IEInternals: Q&A: 64-Bit Internet Explorer

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.