Offline files - various problems

I'm having all kinds of problems trying to get offline files to cooperate with me. This is the first Windows 7 machine we have on the domain. We have been running XP with offline files successfully for several years. Some info about the setup:
  • The machine is connected to our domain (2003 level).
  • H: is mapped to the users' home directory on our file server (2003 Server R2). The mapping is done through the profile tab for the user in Active Directory.
  • "Documents" and "Desktop" are redirected to H:\Documents and H:\Desktop via group policy.
According to windows explorer, both Documents and Desktop have offline files enabled (I believe this is by default when using folder redirection). If I'm online, I can force a sync by right-clicking each folder and selecting "synchronize selected offline files" (I'm on Swedish Win7, so it might not say exactly that). However, if I go into the synchronization center and hit synchronize, nothing happens. The status just reads "Waiting for synchronization". No error messages, no event log messages, nothing.

Another issue I'm having is that if I pull the network cable, the folders go offline and I can continue to work on documents as well as save new ones, but when I reconnect the network cable, it doesn't go online again. Even logging out and in again doesn't help. In order to get back online, I need to restart the computer. And even then, when I login, it won't synchronize automatically. I still have to force the sync by right-clicking each folder and hitting synchronize.

It should be noted that after re-connecting the network cable, it appears the computer doesn't even have connectivity with our domain. For example, running gpupdate results in an error about not being able to contact the domain controller. What's up with that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rickard

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 5,500 Applies to:
Answer
If anyone is interested, the issue was permissions related. Apparently, in order for this to work, the directory that houses the home directories on the server needs to have the "List folder / read data" permission set for NETWORK (this folder only). I changed this and it started working immediately.

More info here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistanetworking/thread/dc594a07-7702-4b68-acc5-17213805fec2

Like someone pointed out in the above topic, this is a bug and needs to be fixed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.