Folder Error

i set the folder options to open the folder in the same window, however, when i double click any folder to open, it opens in its own window, but i can open it in the same window but i have to right click on each folder and select "Open" to open it in the same window.
I want to open folders normally in the same window without always clicking right click and select "Open"!
Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 501 Applies to:
Answer

Hi MenA Fadel,

Firstly, check if the navigation pane is enabled on windows explorer. To do this follow the steps below:

1.    Open Windows Explorer.

2.    Click on organize -> layouts - and enable navigation pane.

Once you have enabled Navigation pane check if the folders open the same window.

Also you may try to set the folder options to default and check if it helps you fix the issue. Access the link below and follow the steps to

set the folder options to default:

You may also run an online virus scan and check if there is any infection on your computer and try to remove the infection and check if it works fine. 

Access the link below to run online virus scan:

http://safety.live.com

If the issue persists, you may try to create a new user account and check if the folders open in the same window.

To create a new user account follow the steps below:

1. Open User Accounts by clicking theStart button, clickingControl Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clickingUser Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clickingUser Accounts.

2. ClickManage another account. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. ClickCreate a new account.

4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then clickCreate Account.

If you are able to open the folders in the same window, access the link below and follow the steps to fix the user profile.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Post back and let us know the result.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.