Program Files download permission

Hi Friends,

I have a new Windows 7 laptop (64 bit), and struggling at times to learn how to use it.  I'm in the habit on my Windows XP desktop, of downloading setup/installer files into Program Files, where I set things up as follows:

Program Files

--Adobe

--Games

----Tetris

------Tetris program

------Tetris installer

--Inkscape

----Inkscape program

----Inkscape installer

----Inkscape tutorial #1

Sorry, I can't figure out how to make a single-space.  Hopefully you can see that I put my setup/installer file in its own folder, alongside the program folder, both within what I guess you could call an "umbrella folder".  For example you can see that I might also put a tutorial or some other related item -- I'm very organized.  So when I download, I would put the setup/installer or zip file into 'Inkscape installer' or 'Tetris installer'.  Then when I install or unzip, I do so into 'Inkscape program' or 'Tetris program'.  That's how I do it on my XP desktop computer, and have been for years.  But here in Windows 7, when I try to download into Program Files, I get an error message: 

"You don't have permission to save in this location.  Contact the administrator to obtain permission."   I AM the adiminstrator, my user account is the only one on this computer, and it's the adminstrator account!

After spending hours (5 or 6) with Dell tech support, finally I am told that in Windows 7, manual download directly into Program Files is not allowed.  Files can only be installed directly or moved in after downloading elsewhere.  I was ready to accept that and create a new sort of workflow for myself, perhaps keeping my installer files all in one folder, outside of Program Files.  But then, while searching these forums, I came across this thread:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/d2bb7c3c-bf0b-4ea6-8463-42461a56c105  It offers instructions for changing permissions.  And I think I can probably follow those instructions without further help.  But just before I did, I thought I should ask whether that applies to my particular problem, that I detailed above, including error message.

Have I been misinformed by Dell (it wouldn't be the 1st time).  By following those instructions, will I be able to download in my usual manner?  Or at the very least, can I try it relatively safely, without major complications?

I suspect that even if it doesn't solve my problem, it may reduce all the other permission related message boxes that keep popping up -- moving files around, etc.  I hope so anyway.

Thanks for you help and attention.  I really appreciate it :-)

Brynn

Question Info

Last updated August 2, 2018 Views 6,776 Applies to:
Answer

Hi BbrynnN

I would like to clarify something here.

Setting up a user as an "Administrator" versus a "Standard User" in control panel is VERY different than actually loggin in and using the user named "Administrator" in Vista/Win7.

When you create a user in Windows Vista/Win7, and set them up as an Administrator (instead of Standard User) you are basically creating a Standard User with additional rights on the system.  The built-in "Administrator" user account is very different than these "standard users with additional rights" administrators that you create yourself.

As long as you are not logging in as the built-in "Administrator" user, you are already avoiding the majority of the problems that Malkeleah is talking about above.

Here's some additional reading material that talks about this (vista and win7 are pretty much the same when it comes to this change)

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsvistasecurity/archive/2006/08/27/windowsvistasecurity_.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee623984(WS.10).aspx
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/How-do-I-log-on-as-an-administrator

As for your organization question, it sounds like you might want to think about rethinking your folder strategy.  Maybe instead of putting all the installation files into the program files folder, you can create a folder somewhere else and keep all the installation files in that folder, and put all your tutorial stuff into a tutorial folder.

I would recommend checking out the library functionality as well, which is new with Windows 7, as it might help you organize your stuff into easier to manage groups. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/libraries

Unfortunately because of security improvements, the program files folder is a little bit harder to fiddle around with, which is a pretty easy trade-off in my eyes for the increased security that Vista and Win7 provide.  It might take a little change in your organizational thinking and habits which is a pain for the first little while. 

It's almost like when they first introduced seatbelts in cars...  It's kind of a pain and required people to change the way they drive their cars but the increased security sure as heck made it worthwhile to make those changes.

I hope this helps

kevin

If you find that my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "mark as answer" box below!
I'm a PC!

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.