Question

Q: Windows 7 - Sharing Root Drive Letters - Possible Security Hole?

I use the wifi ability of my LG Ally smartphone to access LAN shares with EStrong File Explorer. When I built a new PC which runs Windows 7 Home Premium OS, I shared a couple folders and tested to make sure I can access them from my phone. What I saw was unbelievable.

According to any information I have been able to find about sharing files and folders in Windows 7, it is supposed to be impossible to share a "root drive" (the entire drive content, like "C:\" and all its sub-folders) in Windows 7. You can share a folder, but not a whole drive.

Well, Estrong File Explorer, running in LAN access mode by wifi here, is showing me ALL THE DRIVE LETTERS (I have several) of my Windows PC, and their sub-folder content on the screen of the Ally phone!!! Even my other CAT5 connected PCS can only see the folders I have set for sharing on the Win7 PC.

I am only stopped from accessing a few folders on the Win7 computer's C drive. Aside from that, I can access EVERY drive letter and all of their folders and files, even though I do NOT have shared folders on most of those drives. Of course I do not have any of the root drive letters shared because Windows 7 won't even let me attempt to do that.

I can't explain how this is working, but it seems like something Microsoft would want to look into. I can repeat this action any time I want. I did have to create a user account for the phone to even get into the Win 7 PC via wifi, but with that information the phone seems to have full access to the entire PC.

Zoandar

Answer

A:

Hi Zoandar,

It is possible to share your root drive on Windows 7. Please refer the link below

How do I share the root of a drive?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-XM/windows7/How-do-I-share-the-root-of-a-drive

Important:It is not recommended to share the root drive for security reasons

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,226 Last updated: February 27, 2018 Applies to: