Question

Q: Folder setting not saving.

I noticed that folder settings are not being saved after I restart the PC. There are two scenarios.

1. After I installed WinAmp media player, all audio files default to that program. I will open an mp3 file with Windows Media player and tell it to always open with this program. It then opens all mp3 files with WMP instead of Winamp, but as soon as I restart it goes back.

2. I have an mp3 player which I connect to the pc and device stage opens it up and says that there is a new update for the player. I hit update and the interface changes. This stays like that until I restart the PC. Once I restart it, the interface goes back to the old one and it tells me there is a new update.

Windows 7 x64 with latest updates and patches installed.

Answer

A:

Hi cnico88,

There could be a third party software that could be interfering with both the scenarios and hence I'd suggest you to put the computer in a Clean Boot state.

you can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts. This article describes how to troubleshoot problems in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 by performing a clean boot.

Access the below link to put your computer in a Clean Boot state.

Note : Restart your computer in normal mode once you have found out the third party software that was causing the issue to occur.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 477 Last updated: February 27, 2018 Applies to: