Why do I have Duplicate of Program Files

I have upgraded my Windows 7 from 32 to 64 bit. I did a clean install and did a quick format of the drive first. This went OK, but I have duplicate of "Program Files". One is the usual Program Files and the second Progam Files(x86). I want to get rid of this. I find that programs that are being installed that don't give an option of an installation location are by default being put into (x86), which I do not want. I have tried to delete this file but the user accounts control will not allow me to do this, even though the control slider has been moved to the bottom and the computer rebooted. I am the only user and owner of the computer. The (x86) duplicates all the normal Microsoft Standard programs taking up unnecessary disk space, and now a large proportion of the self installed progams. I don't mind having to reinstall these if this problem can be solved. Ken Brown

Question Info

Last updated August 21, 2018 Views 4,807 Applies to:
Answer
Leave it as it is. You will make Windows 7 unworkable if you succeed in what you are trying.

Program Files is for 64-bit programs and Program Files (x86) for 32-bit programs. These use different routines and Windows 7 will call the appropriate routine when it recognises the type of program. If you change the structure Windows 7 will simply not work properly.

Most programs are still 32-bit and will therefore be installed to Program Files (x86).

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.