Windows Live mail problems after restoring Windows 7 from Windows 10

I recently installed Windows 10 and found it unusable so opted to restore to Windows 7.  I was using Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 and had 2 email accounts.  After the restoration, one of the accounts is working correctly but I am getting an error message for the account which I use the most.  It states that it is unable to send or receive messages for that account and gives me a Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD.  The protocol is a POP3 account.  I actually have been receiving messages for that account and I have been able to send a reply to an email received in that account, yet I keep receiving the error message every time I open Windows Live Mail.  I have been unable to permanently delete any messages from that account and when I try to read some emails in storage folders it says "Message cannot be found".  I also get a message that the database is being retrieved every time I open Live Mail and there are multiple duplicates of most of my existing emails in the database.  I currently am showing 799 emails in the database which is a great many more that I had before and since it won't let me delete them I am stymied.  Can anyone help?    

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2019 Views 1,250 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same problem with e-mails duplicating and filling incoming, outgoing, deleted and even old from 2013 into junk mail. I cannot delete anyone of them and I cannot liven up the purge deleted items button in edit on the IMAP e-mail account even though the settings are ticked in the background. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have an answer to the problem of removing locked mail, not being able to delete or purge from your e-mail ins and out, or draft of junk. This being caused by duplicate mail coming in to you when you upgraded to Windows 10 and then reverted back to Windows 7. It has taken me 2 days but here is how I did it.

In the deleted box click on the individual message, if you have a triangle in the top left you have to click on that and open up the story line. Press shift then delete. Repeat until the whole e-mail thread is deleted. If it will not hard delete then hold down your mouse on the single e-mail and drag it to your draft box, do this for a page full of e-mails, next go into the draft box and singly hold shift and hit delete, do this with your first batch. Next go into the draft box deleted box and hit delete all each one will then disappear. But the original message is still listed in your original deleted box so go back to it and repeat the click delete, it will disappear. You cannot bulk delete because your mail box is stuffed and over the limit of storage so you have to be persevere until you have purged the lot.

You can do this to all your boxes, out/in/junk etc. I am all clear and up and running again with full delete control.

Give a go and let us know how you get on. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried all the above but unfortunately the messages all came back again.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had better results than you have had. All my 3 e-mail servers are now clean and running quickly with not one coming back. You could try- click a folder in your IMAP e-mail account. On the EDIT menu, point to PURGE DELETED MESSAGES. and click PURGE then PURGE MARKED ITEMS IN ALL ACCOUNTS. You must be online when you do it.

If that does not work then maybe some  one at Microsoft can come into this conversation and step up with an answer.

After all it has been caused by Windows 10!.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for that David, but I have looked everywhere for the 'edit' option. It's not in Windows Live Mail.  I've gone to my server? (Sky) and deleted everything, I also couldn't find any 'edit' button there also. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry this didn't help.

You must have POP3 as your server then. I also have POP3 on 2 of my e-mail servers and the original drag to the drafts storage folder then follow delete etc worked for me. The IMAP server is a newer type where you would have seen the Edit drop down option to find the Purge button.

Sorry i cannot help any further. With the Windows 10 problems it's the blind leading the blind and is where Microsoft should look at this forum and come in with help.

Sorry this didn't help.

I waited for Microsoft Tech for close to an hour today.

My problem was going back to Windows 7 from Windows 10.  I assumed my e-mail would not be lost.  Well I have lost all my e-mail folders including my "sent" folder.  This ridiculous.

The tech sent me a link for Windows 8 issues.  This is not what I requested help for.  Well he said I should go to the link anyway and see if it helps.  I asked him if he would stay online with me while I do this.

Well I tried his link, naturally it did not work for Windows 7.  When I came back in less than a minute, he was gone, signed off.  His name is Edward T.  Anyone know how to retrieve my folders?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have similar problem - gone back to widows 7 but my sent e-mails have disappeared and also my custom folders for received e-mails have gone, along with e-mails as well

luckily, most main inbox e-mails have survived.

in the recycle folder there is a file which may contain the missing e-mails as its time and date match exactly when the restore to windows 7 happened, but how do I get them back to the e-mail folders section ? 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Nana I'm no expert, with Windows 7, but in the recycle bin there is an option to restore items. Also in the Control Panel there is an option to repair Windows Essentials (includes Windows live mail), see if that helps. I tried the repair, and also uninstalling WLM and reinstalling it but it didn't work.

I got fed up with not being able to delete any emails, so reluctantly did the upgrade again, second time round I am a lot happier with it. Also my emails can now be deleted, so it would seem that the upgrade interferes with the email file. Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the problem of Live Mail not working correctly after restoring win 7 from win 10.  My event viewer log shows that the Mail.MSMessageStore database is corrupted.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Sorry this didn't help.