Windows 7: No Start button or Taskbar when computer starts up

Original title: Black screen and taskbar and start button on startup

On startup I got a black screen with no taskbar or start button. Just the pointer and the dial-up box was visible. (I have a dial-up connection and sometimes when I start up the dial-up box shows up on its own right after the desktop appears). I couldn't access the start menu. I'm not sure at what point it went black because I walked away after I turned on the computer. I pressed the power button. When I did I got the light blue screen that said it was shutting down and it shut down normally. When I restarted I had no problem and it hasn't done it since.

I hadn't made any changes to the computer except change the desktop wallpaper a few times for quite a long time.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with my computer so I can fix it so this or something worse doesn't happen?

Thank you

|
Answer
Answer

Hello misha38,

After re-reading through the thread, this sounds more like a hardware/driver issue. Have you tried updating your video driver from your computer manufacturers website? Please visit your computer manufacturer's website to locate and install the correct driver.

Chris.H
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2020 Views 9,295 Applies to: