Windows 7 Magnifier not working correctly

I just downloaded Windows 7 yesterday. I was playing with the magnifier today and I selected the "dock" option. Now it will not let me unselect the dock option no matter what I try. What can I do to fix this so that I can use the magnifier in other ways instead of just in dock? Also, I noticed that when I reboot my computer and then attempt to open the Magnifier for the first time after the reboot, I get an error message saying that the desktop is not working correctly and it has shut down (it is something like that, I'm not sure of the exact wording of it).
Answer
Answer

1) Close the Magnifier

2) Go into the registry (Start -> Run -> type in regedit and then click OK).

3) Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ScreenMagnifier

4) Under the MagnificationMode DWORD value, change that to either 2 or 3.

5) Close Registry Editor

6) Now go to the Services snap-in (Start -> Run -> type in services.msc ) and then click OK.

7) Scroll to the "Desktop Window Manager Session" service.  Right-click on it, and then left-click "Restart."

8) Close the Services snap-in. 

9) Open up the Magnifier again.  If you changed the DWORD to 2, then it'll be in Full Screen mode.  If you changed it to 3, then it'll be in Lens mode. 

DO NOT use Docked mode with Aero!  It WILL crash.  Every. Single. Time.  Hopefully this will get fixed in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or a hotfix.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi blackmok

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

I would recommend you with these methods:

Method 1:

Update the Display adapter. Steps to update Display adapter:

i.        Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

ii.      Expand Display adapter and right click on the sub item and click update driver.

If this fails then try to reinstall the display driver

i.        Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

ii.      Expand Display adapter and right click on the sub item and click uninstall.

iii.    Restart the computer.

iv.    Visit the manufacturer website to download the latest display driver.

v.      Install the driver and restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Method 2:

Check for the experience index, make sure it should be more than 3.0. Here is the link witjh the same: What is Windows Expereince Index: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-is-the-Windows-Experience-Index

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2021 Views 33,966 Applies to: