Windows 7 gadgets not displaying properly

Faced this problem recently that all of a sudden when I started my computer the desktop gadgets started displaying incorrectly. I am using Windows 7 Professional but got this problem after one and a half years of using it.

The UAC is set to default level and sfc scan shows no errors.

I have tried restoring the gadgets from the start menu, which didn't solve the problem. Also I have tried turning windows gadgets on and off from Windows Features but that didn't work either.

I tried re-registering the dll's but that also didn't work.

Got this problem after I un-installed McAfee Security Center as it had expired. I have used Mcafee's MCPR tool to remove any additional files which are leftover by mcafee, but still my gadgets aren't working properly.

Let me know if there is a solution for this problem.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 2,359 Applies to:

Method 1:

You may try resetting the sidebar to default settings and check if it helps.

Note: By resetting to the default settings, you’ll have to add your gadgets back to the sidebar.

a.       First make sure that the sidebar process is completely closed.

Go to Task Manager to make sure that there are no sidebar.exe processes running. If there are, just right-click and use End Process on each of them.

b.      Open up a windows explorer window and then paste the following into the location bar: %localappdata%\microsoft\Windows Sidebar

c.       This will open up the Sidebar gadgets folder.

d.      Rename Settings.ini file. This file contains your current sidebar configuration.

e.      Click start and open windows sidebar, you’ll notice that a new Settings.ini is created in the above mentioned folder immediately.

f.        Windows side bar now should work with minimum gadgets.

g.       You may add the gadgets manually and check if it is working.

Refer to the link “Windows Sidebar and gadgets”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Desktop-gadgets-overview

Method 2:

I would suggest you to create a new user account and check whether the issue persists. Follow the steps mentioned in the article given below to create a new user account.

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Create-a-user-account

Thanks to Thahaseena M.

KSK!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

In Windows 7 there is no sidebar so I directly terminated the sidebar.exe process from task manager.

In point d, I dont understand what you are tyring to say, there is a file named settings.ini but not a folder by that name.

I changed the name of that file and started the gadgets again because of which new settings.ini file was created, but this didn't solve the problem.

I also tried Method 2 but even in that for a new user account the gadgets aren't working properly.

Let me know if there is any other method to solve this problem.

Also, can you tell me how can we contact Microsoft to ask for help regarding this topic?

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry my bad that will be file not folder.

Try this:

Start->Run>Type in "regedit"->OK-> Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Currentversion -> Internet Settings -> Zones -> if there is a weird thing that looks like an l, delete that folder and restart your computer. GADGETS WORK AGAIN!!

For Microsoft Support check this link out:-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/contact-support

KSK!

Sorry this didn't help.

I looked up in the registry editor but there is no weird thing that appears under the Zones folder, there are 5 folders which are named 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

Thats it so I didn't have to delete anything.

Any other idea???

Sorry this didn't help.