Windows 7 blank sidebar / desktop gadgets, registering vbscript.dll does not solve

After uninstalling the trial version Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, some of my windows 7 sidebar gadgets are not displayed properly, my calendar gadget is blank and the weather gadget displays nothing at all. Some of my custom addon gadgets are also not displayed correctly either.

I have tried the proposed solutions to register vbscript.dll, vscript.dll and a few other dll's from an elevated command prompt however this does not solve my problem at all. I have also tried restoring gadgets and reinstalling custom gadgets however this doesn't work either.

However when I reinstall Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, this problem disapears but then returns when I uninstall it again.
|
Answer
Answer

I figured out what the problem is. I ran a search for "kaspersky" in the windows registry which found a a fair few results even after using the kaspersky removal tool. I noticed a few of these registry entries (located in "Inprocserver32" in a few sections") were blocking some of the above mentioned dll's (in particular vbscript.dll) which, through googling, I have found to be the primary cause of this problem. These registry entries lead to "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\scrchpg.dll" which, from what I can gather, is part of kaspersky which scans for, and prevents registry modifications. For some reason scrchpg.dll is removed, but the registry entries referring to it are not, which means vbscript.dll cannot be registered since scrchpg.dll can't be found to scan it.

Deleting these registry entries referring to "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\scrchpg.dll" should solve these problems, however whenever I try to, I get an access denied message, even through safe mode. However I did manage to find a work around:

Before removing kaspersky, copy "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010\scrchpg.dll" to another location for safe keeping. Once kaspersky is removed, create the following folders: C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and paste the scrchpg.dll you copied there.

If you have already removed kaspersky, I have attached scrchpg.zip (which you need to extract and move to the location mentioned above) in a similar thread I created on the kaspersky support forum which can be found here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=156352

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi serx,

Try the below steps and check if it helps:

1.      Uninstall all the gadgets installed on the computer. Link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Desktop-gadgets-frequently-asked-questions

2.      Put the computer in clean boot. To boot the computer in clean boot you may refer the below link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135    

3.      Run the Kaspersky removal tool from following link and after uninstalling  Kaspersky restart the computer http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/avptool2010?level=2

Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

i.                    Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

ii.                  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

iii.                On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

iv.                When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

After restart re-install the gadgets and check if they are working fine.

Please reply us back with the status of the issue.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 8, 2019 Views 16,944 Applies to: