Windows 7 - Application Menus drop to LEFT instead of right/

This just started happening one day, maybe two-three days ago? So I can't really say what caused it. I was trying to get my Wacom tablet to work correctly with Photoshop CS3, when I opened Photoshop and found that when I clicked on one of the toolbar menus, rather than dropping down and to the right, it's changed to down and left. While it's not a major issue, it makes working efficiently difficult when I'm spending more times trying to re-find all my menu commands. At first, I thought it was just Photoshop, then just Adobe products, when I found some of my other applications (like an old copy of Word97) had the same problem. However, programs like Opera, Firefox, and Skype don't seem to be affected. It also DOES affect right-clicking on my desktop icons and the menus that appear from doing that.

I know that this is probably just some setting SOMEWHERE, but I can't find it. I've tried looking online for an answer, but the most I get is "how to make a drop-down menu in css". I'd really love to get this worked out so I can get back to using my programs efficiently.

I also checked to see if it was updating the tablet driver that did it, and I did find in the TabletPC settings that it was set for "right-handed", which makes the menus appear to the left of your tablet click. Changing it over to left-handed, however, only adjusted the settings for when the tablet pen is being used.

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated August 1, 2019 Views 19,499 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi, again Rinzei.

Thanks to MVP Ronnie Vernon, I have a better answer for you now.  Here's the text of a message he posted today in this Forum in the thread, "menu appear to the left of my cursor", started yesterday (5/10/10) by gLiheng:

<paste>

There are a couple of issues with this behavior. First, if you are clicking very close to the right edge of the monitor, the flyout menus will appear to the left simply because there is not enough room on the right side of the menu.

The other issue is that the 'Handedness' setting has become corrupted or changed. To change this, follow these steps.

Press the Windows logo key+R to bring up the Run dialog box. In the Open line, copy/paste the following text.

shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E}

Press OK.

This will start the Tablet PC Settings configuration dialog (Even if you do not have a Tablet PC).

Select the Other Tab.

In the Handedness section, place a check mark in the Left Handed option.

Click OK.

This should place the menus on the right side.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

</paste>

I hope this works for you.

RC

"Rinzei" wrote in message news:2d362701-90e4-4ea6-a3a1-c1391a3d2bea...

This just started happening one day, maybe two-three days ago? So I can't really say what caused it. I was trying to get my Wacom tablet to work correctly with Photoshop CS3, when I opened Photoshop and found that when I clicked on one of the toolbar menus, rather than dropping down and to the right, it's changed to down and left. While it's not a major issue, it makes working efficiently difficult when I'm spending more times trying to re-find all my menu commands. At first, I thought it was just Photoshop, then just Adobe products, when I found some of my other applications (like an old copy of Word97) had the same problem. However, programs like Opera, Firefox, and Skype don't seem to be affected. It also DOES affect right-clicking on my desktop icons and the menus that appear from doing that.

I know that this is probably just some setting SOMEWHERE, but I can't find it. I've tried looking online for an answer, but the most I get is "how to make a drop-down menu in css". I'd really love to get this worked out so I can get back to using my programs efficiently.

I also checked to see if it was updating the tablet driver that did it, and I did find in the TabletPC settings that it was set for "right-handed", which makes the menus appear to the left of your tablet click. Changing it over to left-handed, however, only adjusted the settings for when the tablet pen is being used.

Thank you.

R. C. White, CPA Microsoft Windows MVP
R. C. White, CPA

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.