Vendor says Run-time error 339 is a Windows 7 Problem

Im not sure where to go with this question since Windows 7 Does not seem to have a discussion group.
I'm working with a program called PHP Form Wizard (www.tools4php.com) and after entering data into the program, when I click to execute the program, the following error message appears:
Run-time error '339'
Component 'SCGrid.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered:  a file is missing or invalid.
Note:  Among other thigns, I have used RegCure to try to solve the problem, but nothing is working and the software vendor says it is a problem with Windows 7.
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.
I'd appreciate your help.  Thanks

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2019 Views 23,296 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

If SCGrid.ocx does come up in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 then it was probably placed there by your install program.

So you may want to just use that one instead of the one you downloaded.

Browse to your command prompt shortcut via Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->Command Prompt. Right click on that Command Prompt icon and choose and Run as administrator.  Click Yes to tell UAC you really want to run it.

When the black window open with your command prompt type this in:

cd<push spacebar>C:\Windows\SysWOW64 <push Enter key>

The prompt should change to:  C:\Windows\SysWOW64

They type:

regsvr32<push spacebar>SCGrid.ocx <push Enter key>

If you get a Window that pops up and says, "DllRegisterServer in SCGrid.ocx succeeded" then click OK and try to use your program again.

Or did you already try these steps and it didn't work?  What errors do you get if it fails?

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

This is a long story and I have never used the program you are referring to before BUT here is a possible clue to your troubles:

A file that ends in "ocx" is usually an ActiveX control that a developer can use to "plug in" a pre-built set of functionality into their application so they do not have to build it from scratch.  In your case I am assuming the 'SCGrid.ocx' that is having an issue is the free version of a grid control made by these people: http://scgrid.com/default.htm

If that is in fact the file you need then you generally need to care about three things:

1) Do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows? (You need to know this because ocx controls use older technology that was built for 32-bit systems)
2) Does that file physically EXIST on your computer already?
3) Is it "registered" properly?

For #1 (32 or 64 bit Windows?):
To find out if your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, do the following:

1.  Open "System" by clicking the Start button , click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click "System".
2.  Under System, you can view the "system type" and it will say 32 or 64 bit Operating System.

Make note of what you have for later.

For #2 (SCGrid.ocx Exist on Your System?):

You can search your computer for SCGrid.ocx to see if you find it.  If you are feeling lucky you can try to see if it just happens to exist in the following:

- If you have 32-bit Windows look inside of C:\Windows\System32
to see if 'SCGrid.ocx' is in there.

- If you have 64-bit Windows look inside of C:\Windows\SysWOW64
to see if 'SCGrid.ocx' is in there.

- If you found it on your system then go to #3 below.

- If you do not see 'SCGrid.ocx' in there then you can hope that the free version of the 'SCGrid.ocx' control is what you need and download it from here:
http://scgrid.com/download/scgridfree.zip

Download that ZIP file, extract  'SCGrid.ocx' from inside of it and then move it to either C:\Windows\System32 (if you have 32-bit) or C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (if you have 64-bit)

For #3 (Registered Correctly?)

- Browse to your command prompt shortcut via Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->Command Prompt. Right click on that Command Prompt icon and choose and Run as administrator.  Click Yes to tell UAC you really want to run it.

When the black command window opens with your command prompt type this in:

For 32-bit:

If you are not already at C:\Windows\System32> then type:

cd<push spacebar>C:\Windows\System32 <push Enter key>

The prompt should change to:  C:\Windows\System32>

They type:

regsvr32<push spacebar>SCGrid.ocx  <push Enter key>

If you get a Window that pops up and says, "DllRegisterServer in SCGrid.ocx succeeded" then click OK and try to use your program again.

---

For 64-bit:

cd<push spacebar>C:\Windows\SysWOW64 <push Enter key>

The prompt should change to:  C:\Windows\SysWOW64

They type:

regsvr32<push spacebar>SCGrid.ocx <push Enter key>

If you get a Window that pops up and says, "DllRegisterServer in SCGrid.ocx succeeded" then click OK and try to use your program again.

---

If that is the only file that is having a problem then it may work.  If you do not get a message that says it registered correctly or if it does not work then you may need to see if the vendor will assist.

Good Luck!

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.