The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898009b) - Windows 7 pro

I get the error "The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898009b)" in Windows 7 pro - when the machine comes out of sleep. The video card is an AMD 760G (intergrated video) - the system is a Shuttle SA76G2 (little shoebox pc) and the cpu installed is an AMD Phenom II X4 940 3 GHz. After the error - Aero is disabled and nothing (including restarting DWM) will turn it back on - sans rebooting.

Aero is fine - very smooth etc, and generally works fine until the machine goes to sleep.

Anyone else run into this? What is the solution?

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2019 Views 47,690 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi AngelWorks,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

Firstly I would suggest you to update the Video card driver from the manufacturer’s website and check if that help.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

To know more methods for updating drivers follow the link given below.

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

If updating drivers do no resolve the issue you may also put the computer in clean boot state, as at times some third party programs tend to conflict while returning from sleep mode.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

The steps to be performed in clean boot are given below:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights

2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue

3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all

Note: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points

Once you boot to the desktop check if the issue persists, follow the steps given in the article and figure out which of the program is causing the issue.

For further information on clean boot please follow the below given link:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1. Click start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

3. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So I upgraded to the latest ATI catalyst driver, but that didn't seem to solve anything. Its a brand new install (nothing installed) but I'll run through msconfig. I think its a driver bug - can you confirm or deny?
mj

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a known problem. Take a look at this thread:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/5322425f-6b5f-44bf-bc20-726a1229b0d3

Unfortunately nobody is willing to tell us about the cause of the problem and whether or not it's gonna be fixed any time soon.

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess that's good to know :/. Kind of a crappy issue on a brand new logo certified Windows 7 machine though.
mj

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem since upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate.      I've been getting around this by setting Sleep to never and then in Advanced Options setting a Hibernate After time so that if I do walk away and don't get back in a reasonable time it will Hibernate which does recover fine with no loss of the Desktop Window Manager or Aero effects.

After fighting this for 3 weeks I made a new discovery just yesterday.  I mistakenly got Sleep enabled again and after a return had lost DWM, Aero Peek, and Tranparency.   I don't know why but I decided to see if going to Hibernate and back would re-enable DWM.   It wasn't on the return BUT executing  from DOS ...  NET START UXSMS did actually successfully restart the DWM for the first time ever.

I now have the following batch file on my Desktop that I can quickly execute after a forced Hibernate should I accidentally get into Sleep mode and lose the DWM.   This is faster (about 1 min) than a full restart (3 min or more) but not nearly as nice a Sleep recovery (7 sec).

DWM_Restart.bat      

@echo ****************************************************************************
@echo *                                                                         

@echo *  You must start this with a Right Click and select Run as administrator 
@echo *                                                                         
@echo ****************************************************************************
@net stop uxsms
@net start uxsms
@pause
@exit

So it appears that something... no idea what ... actually requires a full power down.   I suspect it might be the graphics adapter driver that may require a full restart.   This leads me to ask of anyone reading this string .....  

Is there any Windows Tool or DOS command that can force a full adapter reset without a power cycle? 

Robin 

Sorry this didn't help.

I sort of found an answer to my question.    I found pointers to an image called Newdisp.exe that supposedly will unload/reload the display driver and is supposed to be in the Windows DDK but after doing a full install of  WDK 7600.16385.1  the image was nowhere to be found.

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't found NEWDISP.EXE but I have found that the Device Manager will Unload and Reload the graphics driver.   This does not fix the problem with DWM though as it still will not restart after unloading and reloading.

This leads me to believe that the problem is not with the graphics driver.

It sure would be nice if the DWM.EXE would produce a dump when it stops.   Maybe someone could track down the problem if it did.

Sorry this didn't help.

As both Microsoft and HP are members of TSANet why don't you quit pointing fingers at each other and acutally use TSANet to collaborate and solve this problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem, but I'm not just losing window transparency, once Desktop Windows Manager fails after coming back from sleep, several of my applications have huge problems that all seem to relate to screen repainting. I've confirmed that it the cause of the problems I've been having with: Visual Studio 2010, Quickbooks 2010, IE9. I think it also affects Windows Media Player.

This is a HUGE problem! It is unbelievable to me that this problem hasn't been resolved in the years since its been reported. And no, telling people to disable sleep mode isn't an acceptable answer.

I purchased a new Video Card earlier this week hoping to solve the problem, it didn't. I did upgrade the drivers of both video cards to the latest. No difference.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the above Apps?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately nobody is willing to tell us about the cause of the problem and whether or not it's gonna be fixed any time soon.

Seeing as it's been almost 2 years since you posted this, I can answer that it's not being fixed anytime soon.

Sorry this didn't help.