Taskbar won't show running programs when minimized.

this is just one out of the many problems i have been experiencing. to start off, i was running vista ultimate 32bit perfectly, I decided it was time to buy the new windows and give it a try after the beta had worked perfect as well! once doing that and upgrading it from vista several things werent working, such as, running programs never show up on the taskbar, even when minimized, so once minimized only thing i can do to find it again is press ALT + TAB. Another problem im having is my aero theme, or any theme in general, there is no theme option in personalize in control panel.

when running windows vista 32 bit, i had downloaded quite a few themes including windows 7 theme from deviantart, sometimes replacing dll files such as, uxtheme.dll, pnidui.dll, and loads of others. what i thought was that when i updated to windows 7 from vista, some of the dll files are now corrupt and my laptop seems to be in somewhat "confused". please help me, i have searched everywhere for taskbar problems but cant seem to find anyone with the same problem as me. thank in advance!

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2019 Views 27,253 Applies to:
If something was corrupted and you encouraged some troubles after upgrading you may try to run scanning which check integrity of system files and repair if there is a need. Try this:

press WinKey+R > type cmd and press enter > type sfc /scannow and press enter > after finishing you may need to restart your system.

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've already tried that and it didnt do anything. ive tried most tune up programs hoping that they would replace and fix the dll files it self, however that never worked. what it seems like ive managed to do, is to enlarge the taskbar from its original size AND made all running programs in the taskbar just be an icon. im running out of options and i dont think any program or scan will do it, it would probably have to be done manually. if any help i can post a picture of the taskbar to show an example? thanks for the reply.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You can read here how to reset taskbar to it's default state: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-333778.php

"...But no toolbar with running applications."

"Found it! Removing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop"

This is not the first time when I saw this suggestion. Every changes made to taskbar are connected with that registry value (I know that there is a key called TaskbarWinXP, but I can ensure you that this is connected with taskbar in Windows 7). So after removing it Windows should restore it to its default (appropriate) state. You need to run registry editor: press WinKey+R > type regedit and press enter > find mentioned branch > and delete it > restart you system.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

damn, i really thought that would work., but didnt. :(

i was wondering however while looking through the regedit folder, since my theme doesnt seem to be working properly either, maybe i can delete following < HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\visualeffect\themes > however i dont dare trying to delete anything in registry editor without being certain that it will be replaced once restarted.

Sorry this didn't help.

Does the problem is related only to Aero Theme, or maybe also to Windows 7 Basic Theme, or Classic?

Sorry this didn't help.

its any theme, currently its running in classic( looks like classic but is actually windows 7 theme) but still with SOME visual effects,. i took the chance in deleting the <theme> folder, restarted and nothing. and returning to the folder, visual effects, Themes hasn't returned. the thing is, before deleting it, i noticed that all folders have 2 files, one default reg_sz, and one DefaultApplied (regdword)., but in the Themes folder there was no DefaultApplied, like its been deleted. so that might have been the problem ?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had trouble to find exactly the same article which I found few days ago. TaskbarWinXP wasn't the only value which is responsible for taskbar

Another suggestion says to remove this key also, and restart system after that:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

First try that what above.. if it doesn't work you may read this topic: http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/TechOff/5977-Are-you-a-Windows-XP-Guru/

At the last message you will find link to the application which using scripts written in Visual Basic. The script which is called Minimized Programs Missing looks OK, but I'm afraid of that application - I have some reports from Norton Internet Security about threads located at that website. Below I'm pasting the source code of this script (you can find out what values are deleted, and which one are changed. RegDelete means: delete registry key, RegWrite: change/write concrete value)

On Error Resume Next

WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2 \"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU \"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop \"

WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\BarSize"

P1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\"

WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoBandCustomize", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoMovingBands", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoCloseDragDropBands", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoSetTaskbar", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoSaveSettings",0,"REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoToolbarsOnTaskbar", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoSetTaskbar",0,"REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoActiveDesktop",0,"REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "ClassicShell",0,"REG_DWORD"

p1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\"

WshShell.RegWrite p1 & "NoCloseDragDropBands", 0, "REG_DWORD"
WshShell.RegDelete p1 & "NoMovingBands"

p1 = "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell"

WshShell.RegWrite p1, "explorer.exe", "REG_SZ"

p1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\"
WshShell.RegDelete p1 & "BarSize"
WshShell.RegWrite p1, "Media Band", "REG_SZ"

On Error Goto 0

For Each Process in GetObject("winmgmts:"). _
    ExecQuery ("select * from Win32_Process where name='explorer.exe'")
   Process.terminate(0)
Next

MsgBox "Finished." & vbcr & vbcr & "© Kelly Theriot and Doug Knox", 4096, "Done"

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks a lot for your help, i tried the program Taskbar Repair Tool Plus v1.1.1, it seemed to work at first for my minimized windows to return but then after some time it just goes back to being unusable.

also tried deleting and restarting doing what u told me with :

WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2 \"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU \"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop \"

didnt work either. however i still have the rest of the things u told me to do to try out. so hopefully after going through carefully all of it, it
will work. thanks again for your help ! much appreciated :)

Sorry this didn't help.

just to show you so you have some kind of idea what my taskbar is looking like :S..
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7940/taskbarproblem.jpg

Sorry this didn't help.

heh.. great.. now there is no even similar topic.

I guess it won't change anything but you can check something: right click on Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Performance - Settings... > uncheck Use visual styles for windows and buttons

After that you should be able to see the title of window instead of thumbnail preview. Try to select again Use visual styles... and see what happens. There is also some option like Save taskbar thumbnail previews , check how it will behaves in different states.

ps

You should unmark this topic as answered until you find a solution. Other way people may not looking here to see what the problem is.

Sorry this didn't help.