Task bar getting full

I think, at least for me, I have found one thing about windows 7 that I am unhappy about; the quick launch task bar.  With XP I could put as many programs on my bar as I wanted.  When the 'visual' space got full then you could click on a little arrow and the rest would pop up in a little window.  Unfortuanly 7 doesn't seem to have that.  So far the only way I have found to increase space was to increase the size of the the task bar from one line to multiples.  I don't loke a FAT task bar.  I like the thin one...takes up less space on the monitor and I like to be able to view as much as I can without scrolling to much..ergo...thin task bar.  So my question is....is there any way to get the task bar to pop up the little window with the rest of my icons??

kre8iv1
Answer
Answer
I think, at least for me, I have found one thing about windows 7 that I am unhappy about; the quick launch task bar.  With XP I could put as many programs on my bar as I wanted.  When the 'visual' space got full then you could click on a little arrow and the rest would pop up in a little window.  Unfortuanly 7 doesn't seem to have that.  So far the only way I have found to increase space was to increase the size of the the task bar from one line to multiples.  I don't loke a FAT task bar.  I like the thin one...takes up less space on the monitor and I like to be able to view as much as I can without scrolling to much..ergo...thin task bar.  So my question is....is there any way to get the task bar to pop up the little window with the rest of my icons??

kre8iv1
Hi

The old Quick Launch toobar that appeared in Windows XP is not displayed, by default in Windows 7. However, you can still add the QL toolbar in Windows 7. Here is how.

1. Adding the Quick Launch Toolbar in Windows 7.

a. Right click the Taskbar and select Toolbars/New Toolbar.

b. In the Choose A Folder window, navigate to: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

(Where 'username' is the name of the account you are logged on with)

c. Click Select Folder. This will add the Quick Launch Toolbar to the right side of the Taskbar.

2. Right click the Taskbar and make sure that it is Unlocked.

a. On the Left Side of the Quick Launch Toolbar you will see 3 vertical rows of Dots. This is the Toolbar Handle. Use the mouse to grab that handle and drag the QL toolbar as far to the left as it will go.

b. Next, grab the Handle for the Taskbar Icons and drag it as far to the right as it will go.This should switch the toolbars.

c. Next, drag the QL toolbar to the left as far as it will go. This should place it next to the Start Button. Right click an empty spot on the QL toolbar and remove the check marks from 'Show Text' and 'Show Title'.

3. Finally, carefully drag the Taskbar Icons to the left until the QL toolbar is the size you prefer.

a.Right click the Taskbar and select 'Lock the Taskbar'.

This is an image of the QL toolabr beside the Start Button.

Let us know if this helps or if you have more questions.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 14,173 Applies to: