Some taskbar icons are blank sheets

Some programs such as Internet Explorer, MS Outlook 2007 and iTunes are on the taskbar as blank sheets. I tried placing the shortcuts on the desktop and going into properties and Change Icon. This worked for other programs but the Change Icon button in these programs are blacked out. Tried entering the path to the programs with no luck.

Is there anyway to make the icons for the programs show?

Thanks!
Answer
Answer
I have this exact problem, had to do a hard reset due to loss of video output/media center crash & on reboot my Firefox & Firstclass icons are now blank sheets, very annoying. The delete iconcache.db fix does not work. I was able to restore the icon to the exe files, but the taskbar pinned icons & the start menu items do not update. 
My fix is as follows:

Step 1:
click start>right click on program in start menu>properties>shortcut tab>change icon>browse (navigate to exe for this program)>select exe file>open>select appropriate icon from options shown.>ok>ok>if you get a message saying only an administrator can do this, click continue to apply the change.

Step 2: start a session of the application & while it is running right click the taskbar icon>unpin this program>right click again (shows icon now because it represents the running app, not the shortcut)>Pin this program

I'm no fan of the new mac style taskbar either, it makes opening & navigating multiple sessions of programs tedious, especially when the previews look almost identical & if different programs use the same Icon it adds to the confusion. Is there a "Classic" taskbar option somewhere like the classic view for control panel they used to offer?

69 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2021 Views 75,778 Applies to: