Remap keyboard with scancode map for current user only

I used to use scancode map registry key to remap my ctrl/caps lock/esc keys to my liking.  I was able to do this system wide or for a particular user only.

Starting in Windows 7 (maybe Vista too), the user only setting does not take effect.

Does anyone know if it's still possible to use this setting in hkey_current_user/keyboard layout/scancode map???

Thanks,

jbum

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2019 Views 33,323 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi ThiloL,
Sorry for any confusion. As Mary posted in her reply on 6/25, the mapping is on at a system level and not a user level in Windows 7. You may find the Windows 7 User Interface forum more helpful about user account functions.
Dena

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes. HKCU seems not to work under Win 7. Isn't it?

Per-user keyboard mapping was introduced in XP but never documented. It survived through Vista but Windows 7 removed it, and it hasn't returned in Windows 8 (at least not in the preview edition).

Per-user mapping was very useful for two reasons:
1) Sometimes more than one user account uses the same computer!
2) You didn't have to be an admin to change your own settings.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Microsoft,

How can I remap more than one Scancode to registry? As I want to Disable all CTRL ,ALT and Windows Key. How can I do it? I can try the following but wouldn't work:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,1D,E0,00,00,38,E0,00,00,00,00 ;Disable Right CTRL key and ALT key
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,1D,00,00,00,38,00,00,00,00,00 ;Disable Left CTRL key and ALT key
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,5B,E0,00,00,5C,E0,00,00,00,00 ;Disable Windows Key

It only read the third scancode map. So the Windows Key is disabled and CTRL ,ALT Keys still functional. How can I disable all CTRL ,ALT and Windows Key on the keyboard?

Many Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

It only read the third scancode map.

Max,

you could give my RemapKeyboard application a try and see whether it sets the right map. It has always worked for me with multiple keys, though I never tried to remap such essential keys like Ctrl or the Windows key.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It only read the third scancode map.

Max,

you could give my RemapKeyboard application a try and see whether it sets the right map. It has always worked for me with multiple keys, though I never tried to remap such essential keys like Ctrl or the Windows key.
Cool! It works! Can disable CTRL ,ALT and Windows Key at the same time. But I cant do it Per-User. It wouldnt allow me to do. So I need to select SYSTEM instead. Thanks Pixel.

Sorry this didn't help.

But I cant do it Per-User. It wouldnt allow me to do. So I need to select SYSTEM instead.
What do you mean with "wouldn't allow"? Is there an error message? Does it simply not save it? Is it saved but shows no effect? You know that Windows 7 doesn't support per-user keyboard remapping anymore, as there is a note about it on the app website. I just haven't updated the app yet to tell the user in the beginning. (I only recently upgraded from XP to 7 myself so there's a couple of new things to do for me now...)

Sorry this didn't help.

You know that Windows 7 doesn't support per-user keyboard remapping anymore, as there is a note about it on the app website.
Yes you are right Pixel. I almost forgot Windows 7 doesn't support per-user keyboard remapping. I was using Windows 7 for testing so that's why. 

It is truly a VERY powerfully tool but ...humm... I am trying to ask for more =). Is this possible to save my different settings into different profiles so that I can load them whenever I need. Then I'll not need to change my settings when there're some remapping are made. Just like:
Profile 1: Disable Function Key F1 - F12
Profile 2: Disable Function Key F4 - F12 + ALT + CRTL Keys
Profile 3: Remapping CTRL with CAPSLOCK
Profile 4: ......

Of course it's just my asking. =D

Thanks Pixel, you really did a great job!

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting idea. While first browsing your post I even thought to read "save profiles to files". But I guess you mean to save the profiles within the application and select them through some form of switch in the GUI. I'll put both ideas to my list and will consider implementing them. It can take a few weeks to months though...

Thank you for your feedback! This is just a basic tool, but that's mostly because it was only designed for my personal needs and there wasn't much feedback yet. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Sir,

I think people are interested in user-level keyboard mapping because of administrative rights.  You don't need them to do it for your own user account.

With companies getting stricter about computer privileges, and more and more of them taking away local admin rights from their IT people, it becomes necessary to do keyboard remapping at a level that doesn't require them.

I need to remap my CAPS LOCK key to Control because I use it a lot, and I get wrist pain if I can't map my keyboard that way.  Some companies may not allow users to edit system-level registry keys, particularly if you do government contracting.

So, can someone please tell me why Microsoft removed user-level keyboard remapping in Windows 7, if they plan to put it back, and if there is an alternative way to achieve it?

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.