Question

Q: Pin to taskbar a shortcut to \\server\dir\app.exe

I have an application that I refer through \\server\dir\app.exe , and that has default directory \\server\dir

I make a shortcut to it, and save it on the desktop.

When I right-click on this icon, I don't see any option for "pin to taskbar" or "pin to start menu". When I click on other icons, I see these options.

On Windows XP and Vista, I was able to add this shortcut to the quick start bar.

Is there a way to pin to taskbar a shortcut to an application on \\server\dir\app.exe? I really wouldn't like to define a drive letter.

Answer

A:

Hello TheCarlitto,

You can overcome this issue by mapping the network drive. To set this up the most efficient way, look below.

Map network drive

- On the client, open Windows Explorer and navigate to \\server > right-click on \directory and select Map network drive

- Select a drive letter > select Finish

Pin calculator to TaskBar 

- Click start > All Programs > Accessories > right-click calculator > select Pin to TaskBar

* These next steps are all completed from the TaskBar folder

- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Change the application target location

Locate the pinned program (calculator) in this folder.

- Right-click the program > select Properties

- Under the shortcut tab locate Target > In Target change location to application location using the mapped drive letter.

- Click Apply

Change the Icon

- Right-click the program > select Properties

- Select Change Icon

- Select Icon

- Click OK

Rename

- Right-click the program > select Rename

- Type name of application

- Click OK

Hope this helps

Chris.H
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 16996 Last updated: November 8, 2017 Applies to: