Notification area icons missing at startup or disappear after startup.

I have notification icons that do not appear at startup or will disappear while computer is in use.  Icon behavior for these icons is set to "Show icons and notifications" and this will occur whether or not "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" is checked or not.  If I attempt to change icon behavior on a missing icon to "Hide icon and notifications" then change back to "Show icons and notifications", I receive the following message: "This notification icon is not currently active. It will be shown next time it becomes active." Although my system (volume, network, battery) icons are not effected by this, I tried http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/945011 which did not work. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium x64.  Any solutions to this issue?

Question Info

Last updated December 9, 2019 Views 129,995 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Shanerock88,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

Method 1: Perform an online virus scan for the computer by visiting the following link:

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

You may also go through this link to remove Malwares from your computer.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/761c3f8f-71ec-4d89-8f13-acf9cf734a1f

Method 2: Fix a corrupted user profile

To create a new user profile

To create a new user profile, you must first create a new user account. When the account is created, a profile is also created.

1.    Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.

2.    Click Manage another account.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.    Click Create a new account.

4.    Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

To copy files to the new user profile

After you create the profile, you can copy the files from the existing profile. You must have at least three user accounts on the computer to complete these steps, including the new account you just created.

1.    Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files from.

2.    Open the My Documents folder by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer. Double-click the hard disk drive that Windows is installed on (it's usually your C: drive), double-click Users, double-click the folder with the name of your account, and then double-click My Documents.

3.    Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.

If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.

4.    Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

5.    Clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, click Yes to confirm, and then click OK.

6.    Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.

7.    Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:

·         Ntuser.dat

·         Ntuser.dat.log

·         Ntuser.ini

8.    Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy.

If you don't see the Edit menu, press Alt.

9.    Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you created.

10. Click the Edit menu, and then click Paste.

If you don't see the Edit menu, press Alt.

11. Log off, and then log back on as the new user.

If you have e‑mail messages in an e‑mail program, you must import your e‑mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile. If everything is working properly, you can delete the old profile.

To know more about this visit the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.