My desktop icons have a black box over the place of shortcut symbol. How to get it back to normal look?

My desktop icons have a black box over the place of shortcut symbol. How to get it back to normal look?

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2019 Views 29,754 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Satish,

Welcome to Microsoft community where you can find all the answers related to windows.

From your description, I understand that your icons have a black square around it.

Have you made any recent changes prior to the issue?

Method 1: Follow the methods below:

1. Click the Organize button on any folder, and choose Folder and Search Options from the menu.
  2. Click the View tab, and then uncheck the Always show icons, never thumbnails checkbox.
  3. Click OK, and you’re done.

Method 2: Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database

This might be an issue with the icon cache on the computer; I would suggest that you rebuild the icon cache which might fix the issue.

a.       Close all folder windows that are currently open.

b.       Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

c.        In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.

d.       Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.

e.       From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)

f.         Type CMD.EXE, and click OK

g.        In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT

h.      In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)

i.        Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

Provide us a screenshot of the error message you see there.  The link below explains how to post a sceen shot on Forums page:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot-on-this-forum/c86de820-c620-401c-a804-9f6337cd3053

Please perform these recommended steps, review the additional information provided and post back if you are still experiencing the issue. I will be glad to provide you with additional options available that you can utilize to get this issue resolved.

132 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.