Login Screensaver Error: Direct 3D 9.0 is needed to run this screen saver, but can't be found. Please install the latest version of DirectX and try running the screen saver again.

Original Title: Login Screensaver Error.

When at the Windows login screen the screensaver does not come up. The mouse pointer "thinking" circle starts spinning but it just goes back to the login screen. I have created all 4 strings in the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\ including ScreenSaveActive = 1, ScreenSaverIsSecure = 0, ScreenSaveTimeOut = 60, and SCRNSAVE.EXE = C:\Windows\(our custom screensaver). Instead of our custom screensaver I have also put the Windows mystify screensaver in the key but the Directx 3D 9.0 error comes up. Any suggestions?

Note: The custom and Windows screensavers both work when a user is logged in.

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 6,266 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

UltraVNC seemed to work alright with win 7, however the only remote control software that I know works without fail, and on an extremely consistent basis, is the enterprise version of RealVNC. Yes, it does cost money, however it's comparable to microsoft's RDP, with extra features. They do make a free version that does not cost any money and lacks some features. In a corporate environment, I'm pretty sure that version is a no no.

The windows XP 'My Pictures Slideshow" screensaver. ssmypics.scr

see: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Picasa/thread?tid=78ca9579242d3682&hl=en for more details

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.