Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Jumplists disabled; option to "store and display recently opened items in the Start Menu and the Taskbar" is grayed out

My option to "store and display recently opened items in the Start Menu and the Taskbar" is grayed out. Any other system reference to "jumplists" are also grayed out (i.e. how many items to display in jumplists). Have I inadvertently disabled this function? If so, how can I get it back?

Answer
Answer
Hi, landonblaine:

When the option Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the Taskbar is unchecked and grayed out, it is a symptom that two Windows policies are applied to your system.

Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and browse to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. If there is a registry value NoRecentDocsMenu set to 1, delete it. If there is a registry value NoRecentDocsHistory set to 1, delete it as well.

Repeat the same steps in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer (it may not exist).

Restart your computer and see if the problem is solved.
Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2020 Views 11,994 Applies to: