Japanese IME not allowing Input Mode to be changed.

I've recently updated from Windows update, and now my Japanese IME doesn't work anymore.

Pressing Alt + Shift changes my language to Japanese from US, afterwards, I cannot click on the Input Mode button to get the drop down box to change to hiragana, katakana, etc.

Alt + capslock, Ctrl + capslock, Alt + ~, all these keys don't work. The Input Mode button is greyed out. If I clicked on the desktop, it lets me change the language, but in notepad, firefox, office, etc. the Input Mode button is disabled and I cannot even click on it.

Please any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated November 12, 2019 Views 32,347 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Lamuness,

- Do you happen to remember the update (KB) you installed which caused the issue?

Follow the methods listed below to fix the issue:

Method 1:

You may try removing the Japanese language from Control Panel, restart the computer and re-add the Japanese language and check if that fixes the issue.

To remove Japanese language, follow these steps:

a. Click Start and select Control Panel .

b. Click Clock, Language, and Region, and then click Region and Language.

c. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab, and then click Change keyboards.

d. Under Installed services, select Japanese (Japan) and click Remove.

e. Click Apply and OK.

This would remove Japanese language. Restart the computer and add the Japanese language again and check if that works.

Refer:

Add or change an input language

Method 2:

Perform a system restore to a restore point prior to the issue and check if that fixes the issue.

Refer these articles for information on system restore:

What is System Restore?

System Restore: frequently asked questions

Hope this information helps.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

44 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.