Q: Taskbar with pinned Icons This thread is locked from future replies

I awoke the other day to find my computer at the log in screen. Apparently there was an update overnight and the computer restarted. When I tried to type in my password I found that the computer was frozen. I restarted it and when it came back the task bar with my pinned programm icons was gone. I cannot figure out how to fix it. I tried a system rstore to a few days before but that did not bring back the pinned icons. I came up with a temp fix but would rather have it working like it should. It is a fresh install of Win7....

Hi comptech61,

Method 1:
Do one of the following:

If the program is already running, right-click the program's button on the taskbar (or drag the button toward the desktop) to open the program’s Jump List, and then click Pin this program to taskbar.
– OR –
If the program isn't running, click Start, find the program’s icon, right-click the icon, and then click Pin to Taskbar.

You can also pin a program by dragging the program's shortcut from the desktop or Start menu to the taskbar. Additionally, if you drag the shortcut of a file, folder, or website to the taskbar, and the associated program isn't already pinned there, then that program is pinned to the taskbar and the item is pinned to the program’s Jump List.

Refer to the below mentioned link for a video presentation of the resolution of the issue and further queries:

Method 2:
You may even check if you face the same issue in different user account or administrator account.  You may even check if the issue persists in a new user account on your computer.

You may refer to the link - Create a new user account-

If you do not face the issue in new user account then you may fix the user profile having issues by referring to the link below -

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 508 Last updated: February 27, 2018 Applies to: