Question

Q: How do I change the Windows 7 Keyboard Shortcuts

I would like to know how I can change/disable some of the Windows 7 Keyboard Shortcuts.

I find half of them useful, however I would like to change either the key combinations or disable some of the key combinations.

Before upgrading to Windows 7, I used to use a virtual desktop application (virtuawin) on Windows XP that allows windows to be grouped into different virtual desktops. I assign Win + 1, Win + 2, etc to switch between the desktops.

Since Windows 7 already have these keys already assigned to Taskbar item 1, Taskbar item 2, I am unable to use them for any other applications or settings.

I've tried searching the internet and this forum high and low and have found nothing (except for disabling the windows key, so please do not point me towards that as my problem is slightly different).

I'm open to suggestions that delve into Registry Editors, Editing Group Policies, or even replacing certain system files.

I'd just like to use back my previous set of key combinations for my self.

Thanks!

Answer

A:

HI  Wilfredtee

you can not use windows default shortcuts to other applications , unless the application has been designed accordingly. you may have to use other shortcuts.

but you can disable full Win+hot keys , it will be disabled totally, and can not use for other application

Windows Key Shortcuts - Enable or Disable
How to Enable or Disable Windows Key Shortcuts in Windows 7

Method 2
Highly recommended not to modify the Registry before a back up .
==========================

To disable the Windows keyboard shortcut keys you need to modify the Registry. But before that create a System restore point. Follow the steps mentioned below to create a system restore point.

Step 1:

To create a restore point follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer and then clicking Properties.

2. In the left pane, click System protection. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the System Protection tab and then click Create.

4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description and then click Create.

For more information, please refer the link

Step 2:

To edit and alter the registry follow the steps mentioned below.

Important Note : This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756

1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In the Start Search box, type regedit and press Enter.
3. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.
4. In regedit, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

NOTE: If you already have the Explorer key (folder) under Policies, then go to step 7.  

5. In the left pane, right click on Policies and click on New and Key. 
6. Type Explorer and press Enter.
7. In the right pane, right click on a empty area and click on New and DWORD (32-bit) Value.
8. Type “NoWinKeys” and press Enter.
9. In the right pane, right click on “NoWinKeys” and click on “Modify.”
10.To Disable Windows Hotkeys - Type 1 and click on OK.
11.To Enable Windows Hotkeys again - Type 0 (number zero) and click on OK.
12.Close Regedit.
13.Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply changes.

For further reference check the article mentioned below.

Disabling Windows Keyboard Shortcuts

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa460734(WinEmbedded.5).aspx

Reference:Mir A Microsoft support, Moderator
Hope it helps

Nikhil

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

7 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 397,101 Last updated: June 15, 2018 Applies to: