How can we run a 32 bit program XP on a 64 bit machine XP virtual PC

I recently purchased a machine running Windows 7 Profession, installed Virtual PC and XP mode to enable me to run older programs which worked well on the XP but will not run on the W& version.  When I install one of the programs (Neatreceipts 3.0) it indicates that it will require XP 32 bit, and not compatible with XP 64.  On a separate program I am attempting to run fujitsu software for s Fi5110 C scanner and can get anyting to work. 
Answer
Answer
You need to install the program in Windows XP Mode, then virtualize it:

Starting XP Mode is very simple, you can launch Windows XP Mode from the Start Menu > Windows Virtual PC programs group or from the "Command Bar > Open", if you are within the Virtual Machines Explorer.

http://notebooks.com/2009/11/23/using-windows-virtual-pc-with-windows-xp-mode/

Installing applications and publishing

Once you have Started Windows XP Mode, you will see a familiar Windows XP environment. Along the top of the screen is the Toolbar that controls your experience working between the host and Virtual Machine, Restarting or Ending your session, connecting USB devices, securing your session, minimizing, maximizing and closing the Virtual Machine.

Installing and using an application in Virtual XP Mode

Installing applications is the same as installing in Windows, simply insert the application disk or connect to your Network resource of your choice, double click the setup file or the auto-run program will begin the installation. Once the installation is complete you can launch the application from the All Programs menu and use it from within Windows XP Mode normally.

Using the application in Virtual Windows XP is very similar to working in Virtual PC, but the key differentiation happens when you virtualize your applications. My next step was to see how I could benefit from Integration Features without having to use the operating system layer. When you install an application, automatically it places a shortcut in the Windows Virtual PC programs group called Virtual Windows XP Applications in Windows 7. When you launch the application from there, Virtual Windows XP will request to close the Virtual Machine (if it is open) because a virtual application cannot run while the virtual machine is open. If you close the virtual machine, any unsaved data will be lost. After this is done, Virtual Windows XP starts the Virtual Application which runs outside of the guest operating system (Windows XP). And that’s it, you are able to use the application just as you would a native application installed in Windows 7. The only thing is, you will notice that the application continues to use the guest operating systems look and feel.

If I want, I can use the application in the virtual machine itself

…or I can simply use the program as a virtual app from within Windows 7

So after installing PhotoDraw 2000, I decided to run Hallmark Card studio 1.0 and The Printshop 5.0 to see how that would function. Yup, installed and functioned just fine.

Installing Legacy applications

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2021 Views 2,860 Applies to: