Question

Hide the Desktop.ini from the Desktop 'view' while leaving the the check box to view all system files checked?

Joe Blow User asked on

This worked fine with XP but doesn't seem to work with Vista or W7.  I need the abililty to see all systems files and folders when using explorer; however, I do not want to see the system files on my desktop.  Secondy, the "desktop" is a special 'view'.  That is it can combine and display information from several sources (eg. C:\Users\Public\Desktop as well as my profile).  Additionaly,  the desktop includes icons that are not in in a user's profile (eg. Network, Computer, etc) but these also display.  My point is that Microsoft has made a point of differentiating the Desktop from the Explorer view but inconsistently.  As said above this worked fine with XP (and Windows 2000) but has gone AWOL in Vista and W7.  Is there another means for displaying all system folders and files without displaying to the desktop? 
Regards

31 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Grzegorz Krzymiński replied on
You have some bug because desktop.ini is not displayed even if you check Show hidden files.

About Network and Computer icons - you can hide them using a personalization: right click on the desktop > Personalize > Change desktop icons > uncheck these icons

I was wrong, showing desktop.ini is not a bug... You have just selected too many options in Folder and Search Options. I'm just wondering how many times you need to see system protected files? Because you unchecked option to Hide protected operating system files . Another option: Show hidden files, folder and driver is going to show you everything what you need. If you are not convinced, just go to somewhere where you are expecting that hiding system protected files is going to hide something important to you and see does these files are really going to disappear after selecting Hide protected operating system files .
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress