Disable taskbar thumbnail preview

Original title: Turning off Taskbar features

First, I am trying to find the language to describe the problem, and am having some problems even finding screen shots and names of the taskbar functions I am referring to. It would be exremely helpful if Microsoft coul name and provide screeen shots of every part of the Windows n screens.

When I hover my mouse over a system tray icon, several enhanced features come into play. I can find references to jump lists, and how to control them, and to previes, and how to control them. I haven't yet found a description or porper name of the windowed list of open applications that appears when the mouse pointer hovers over a system tray icon. For example, if I have 10 copies of Internet Explorer open, a list pops up of ALL the open Explorer instances and their search bar titles. Without knowing the name of this window, it's diffucult to ask the question - it would be useful to have a pointer "What's this?" tool to name a windows object and its properties.

The problem with this list is that the only option in the list in to select one of the listed instances of the application. There are no functions to close the list, or an easy path to keep the list from popping up. I suppose Microsoft thought to be such an exceptionally useful tool that they didn't think to include personalization and user control functions.

For me, they are exceptionally intrusive and severely interrupt work flow. I have absolutely no use for the lists. I often have 20 or more instances of Internet Explorer or other applications open at one time. When one of these lists pops up, it can significantly cover the work space. These list windows are designed to be sticky or persistent - so that they can remain open for significant periods of time. If they pop up open over an application (for example Access or Excel) then the data entry fields cannot be accessed until the window goes away.

The problem is made more difficult by the working environment. I do much of my work on a laptop on a couch, rather than a desktop. And the system tray has been set 4 layers deep. The result is that when I take from the mouse to go to the keyboard, there is often some slippage. When the pointer slips across the icons, it brings up these annoying and work-interrupting lists. I'm entering hundreds to thousands of fielded data a day, and so any blockage of access to data entry fields is an impact on productivity.

I need a way to turn this feature completely off, and not a kludge that sets a time delay. A time delay function works to some extent, but if I have to type for any extended period of time, the mouse pointer will slip, hover over an icons, and cause the list window to pop up.

This need to avoid a kludge is something Microsoft needs to consider more closely. This isn the appropriate forum, but I'll bring it up anyway, I don't know if Excel 2010 solves this problem, but I've had a technical problem with Excel from the beginning. Like this taskbar issue, it seems to originate in programming assumptions about the uses of the software, and coercing certain "labor saving" functions that makes it hard for users who have less common uses.

Perhaps I am just obtuse, and there is a clear, simple workaround or option. Any suggestions?

|
Answer
Answer

Hi spoonbob,

The feature you’re referring to here is known as taskbar thumbnail preview.

Unfortunately, Windows 7 does not include a Graphical User Interface (GUI) to disable the taskbar thumbnail preview feature.

The only option that comes close enough to disabling the feature is by editing registry settings. This can be done by setting the taskbar thumbnail preview hover delay to a large value (say 25000 milliseconds or more), so that the preview is not immediately generated when you hover over a taskbar icon.

If you wish to change the settings to delay the taskbar thumbnail previews, follow the steps mentioned below:

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

1. Click Start, typeregedit.exe in the Start search box and hit ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced

3. Create a new DWORD (32-bit)value named ExtendedUIHoverTime

4. Double-click ExtendedUIHoverTime and clickDecimal

5. To increase the hover delay to 10 seconds, type 10000. Type50000 for 50 seconds, etc.

6. Exit the Registry Editor.

7. Restart the computer.

If you wish to leave your feedback, you may do so at the Windows 7 Feedback site.

Hope this information helps.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello spoonbob,

Take a look at this thread for instructions on posting a screenshot. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/answersfeedback/thread/58f8a8fd-d7b1-484f-a2de-65ba19571304

Chris.H
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2020 Views 34,777 Applies to: