Disable caps lock key

I have done web searches on how to disable that pesky caps lock key, but I thought you guys might provide safer answers. I am reasonably proficient with computers, but my fat fingers keeps hitting the CAPS LOCK KEY AND THEN EVERYTHING LOOKS LIKE THIS UNTIL I REALIZE IT AND GO BACK AND re-type it. I do it a lot and it is driving me nuts! Help please!
Thanks so much!

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2019 Views 96,271 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I understand that you found some suggestions about registry edition - they are not so bad. If you don't want to download any files which allow you to disable CAPS LOCK, you can create it by your own:
  1. Press WinKey+R > type notepad and press Enter
  2. Paste to the notepad this:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
    "Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00
  3. File > Save As...
    • Select for Save as type: All Files
    • Enter in the File name field: disable_caps_lock.reg
    • Click Save
  4. Right click on the created file > Merge
  5. Restart your system

In the case that you want to enable CAPS LOCK again, you need to delete that registry entry, so you need follow these steps:
  1. Press WinKey+R > type regedit and press Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
  3. Right click on the Scancode Map > Delete
  4. Restart your system

I guess it might be the only way to disable CAPS LOCK.

In the case that you still don't want to do that, Windows 7 is offering something different than disabling CAPS LOCK. You can enable Toggle Keys, so you are going to hear a tone when you press CAPS LOCK. To do this follow these steps:
  1. Press Start > Control Panel > Easy of Access   > Easy of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use
  2. Mark the Turn on Toggle Keys checkbox

151 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.