Desktop stuck on solid colours - Win 7 Pro

I have a massive problem that I just cant fix! switched to the BING RSS theme and after a few days I realised the wallpaper wasnt changing. No worries, I will try another theme, but the wallpaper didnt change. So I did the old Internet Explorer - photo - right click - set as desktop wallpaper trick. It worked, but not for long. I tried changing to a new theme and what do you know, nothing happened. Sorry, the sound and colours changed, but the same desktop background. So I thought I would try the colours, that didnt work. Now I am stuck on solid colour.

Why has this happened and what can I do to fix it?

I have already trawled the internet and found nothing, so I am at the point of giving up. This is really killing me!

Question Info

Last updated September 1, 2019 Views 8,046 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Copy and paste this into the search box at the bottom of your Start menu, then hit enter:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\

In the window that opens, delete the TranscodedWallpaper file, then try to set a wallpaper normally again.

If this solves your issue, click the 'Propose as Answer' link below, and vote as helpful by clicking the green triangle to the lelft. Thanks!
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.