Desktop icons not working

My wife's computer (mine is the same as hers, bought two, Running Windows 7), suddenly is having a problem with her desktop icons.  They no longer work, must start programs by going to Start, etc.  Right click and left click, both do not work.  If I reboot, an icon will work (start the program) once.  But, on exit, no icon on the desktop will work any longer.  I have run current AVG anti-virus and Malwarebytes.  Neither shows any male-ware problems.

Any suggestions as to why/how to fix dead icons?

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2018 Views 116,395 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Dahermit,

Perform a virus/malware scan to check if your computer is infected with any malicious software or not.

Refer to the link given below and follow the suggestions by ‘Vincenzo Di Russo’

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/ba80504b-61f1-4d71-960f-b561798b7b42

If this gives a clean result you may try creating a new user account and check what happens. To create a new user account

1.       To open User Accounts, click the Start button, click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.

2.       Click Manage another account. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.       Click Create a new account.

4.       Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

If the new user account works fine then the previous account was corrupt, you may follow the link given below to fix the corrupt user profile.

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

88 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.