Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Desktop icons always start in medium size on reboot

Just recently the desktop icons have been medium size on every computer start up. I change the size but it has no affect on the size they start out as on boot up. I have made no changes to the desktop, however, about the same time my anti-virus software started detecting and removing some Trojan viruses. Not sure if it is related, but very coincidental.
Answer
Answer
I think it does stand to reason it is related.

You've mentioned you already have a virus scanner, but here's some more steps to take.  Click any link provided below for additional information on the task.

What I'd recommend at this point is to reboot into Safe Mode with Networking, then run the SFC command to replace any modified system files.

As you open webpages on the suspected-to-be-infected computer, be sure to use "Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)" mode, found in your Start menu.  This is basically a failsafe mode for Internet Explorer.  You can also use an alternative browser (Firefox and Chrome have their own safe modes as well).

After you have run the SFC command, take a moment to reset your HOSTS file.  This file controls where websites get directed (it's a way for the computer to translate something like microsoft.com into the IP address used to actually locate it.  Viruses can hijack this file and cause you to get redirected -- sometimes they even send you to a IP that looks legit, trying to get you to provide your password to a fake site.

Even if you don't use Internet Explorer regularly, you should fully reset it to ensure nothing in there has been tamped with, including proxy settings and so on.  As I said, this is important even if you don't use IE, because many other programs rely on features provided by IE.

After doing that, while still in safe mode, download and run security tools (I recommend running both of these on a full scan). 

This should have you well on your way to removing any infection, if present, but also clearing any modifications that may have taken place to cause your issue.  Please let us know the results or if you get stuck on any step.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2018 Views 1,122 Applies to: