Current default accidentally got set to Firefox for'.lnk' files. How do I undo this and return to Unknown Default?

Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs>Set Associations:

.lnk file type (LNK File) said Unknown under Current Default.  I double clicked on it and the recommended Programs Menu showed only Firefox.  I chose it which changed all the icons for all quick links to the Firefox symbol.  Double clicking them now opens a tab in the browser instead of opening the correct program.  How do I get it back to proper settings and proper links?
Larry Johnson
|
Answer
Answer
pajldj wrote:

Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs>Set Associations:

PhilipsJason wrote:

Open Control Panel.  In the upper right hand corner, there is an option for either "Category view", or small/large icons.  Change the option for now to small icons.  (you can change this back later, just doing this for ease of use)  Now that you have quite a few icons, open "Default Programs".  Then, using the "Set Associations" option, you can adjust how Windows handles every single file type.  :)
Nice try PhilipsJason, but I have impression that this is exactly where pajldj changed file association previously selecting by accident Firefox, and he cannot undo that change because Set Associations doesn't offer "Unknown application" as an option to choose ;)

Hi pajldj,

Try this:
  1. Press WinKey+R > type regedit and press Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lnk
  3. OpenWithList should contain only:
    • (Default) | REG_SZ | (value not set)
  4. OpenWithProgids should contain only:
    • (Default) | REG_SZ | (value not set)
    • lnkfile | REG_NONE | (zero-length binary value)
  5. Make sure there is no subkey/subfolder UserChoice (If you see it, right click on the UserChoice > Delete )
  6. Restart your system

This is how the mentioned key should look like:

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2019 Views 18,767 Applies to: