Can't unpin a program from the taskbar

So my computer spazzed out for whatever reason, and now I can't remove a certain program from the taskbar. Not that I don't want it there, but when I right click it it won't pop up with a menu giving me an option to unpin it from the taskbar. All it does is open it in a separate icon entirely. Observe. The program is Google Chrome:

(Sorry it's a bit small - you'll just have to zoom in)

So it's starting to get a bit annoying and I would appreciate it if anyone had a solution into fixing it.

Thanks again.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2018 Views 32,859 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

You can fix this, but it's going to remove all your pinned icons also.  Here's a script that will make the necessary file and registry changes for you.

1. Copy all the bolded text below and paste it into Notepad (there are 4 lines)

2. When you save the file, choose "All Files" as the type, and give it a name ending with .bat (example:  Reset Taskbar.bat)

3. Double-click your new batch file to run the commands, then reboot.

DEL /F /S /Q /A "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\*"

REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband /F

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

104 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.