can't type chinese even with chinese input switched on in language bar

I added the Chinese Pinyin IME to my language bar and for a few days, I could switch between English and Chinese just fine. However, today I was typing in Chinese when suddenly it just didn't work. The language bar shows that I am still in Chinese mode, but Chinese words just don't come out; I only get English words. Instead of typing pinyin in and the computer generating Chinese characters for me, I only get whatever i type. I don't know if I might have accidentally pressed something, even though I don't think so.

Another problem is that even since the beginning, I have no idea how the hot keys work. I'm supposed to be able to switch between the 2 languages by pressing some hot key, but it doesn't work, no matter when I try changing the hot key sequences.
|
Answer
Answer

Hi Lea_L,

·         Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

·         Which edition of Windows 7 are you using?

Follow these methods.

Method 1: Language pack is available in Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise edition. If you have Windows Ultimate or Enterprise edition you may follow the steps mentioned below and install the language pack.

To download and install a Windows 7 language pack, follow these steps:

a)    Start Microsoft Update. To do this, click Start, type Microsoft Update in the Start Search box, and then click Microsoft Update in the Programs list.

b)    Click the optional update links for the language packs.

c)    Under the Windows 7 Language Packs category, select the desired language pack.

Note: If you install many additional language packs, the disk space and system performance are affected. In particular, disk space and system performance are affected during servicing operations, such as Service Pack installations. Therefore, we recommend that you only add a language pack to your computer if you will use the language pack.

d)    Click OK, and then click Install updates to start the download and installation process.

For reference:

Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise

Method 2: If this doesn’t helps, then you may follow these steps:

You should install a Chinese IME before typing Chinese characters. To do this, please follow the steps.

a)    Click on start, Control Panel.

b)    Click on clock, Language and Region, Region and Language, Keyboard and Languages, Change keyboards, Add Chinese (Simlified,PRC).

Method 3: Perform a system restore and check if the issue persists.

For reference:

Type in Chinese, Japanese, and other character-based languages

Add or change an input language

Change your keyboard layout

30 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2021 Views 60,350 Applies to: