Cannot switch between windows without minimizing everything.

Recently (as of 10/2/2010 on Windows 7 x64) When I have multiple windows open, whenever I click on a different open application on the taskbar instead of the window popping up, the item on the taskbar just blinks orange. (This is the same "blinking" that occurs when something has changed on an undisplayed window.)

The only way to see the window is to hit "show desktop" and re-click on the taskbar item. (I should note that the item then becomes solid-orange until I open it.)

Even Alt+tab does not do a thing! (However, 3D Aero switching *does* work)

Still, this is obviously a major nuisance. I am very computer-savy, so I have searched registry items suggested by other forums/questions; however, I cannot find the issue. Oh, and I cannot find any particular software I installed prior to seeing this issue.

Please help! This is obviously a MAJOR hindrance to me. (I am a software engineer who usually switches between many applications...) Thanks in advance!

Answer
Answer
Wow...that entire login process was totally unnecessary and glitchy.  Amazing.

Ummm I just had the same thing happen as above and it took about 10 different search attempts on bing (really google! lol) to find this single yell for help.

This is the second time this has occurred to me.  I think I have it figured out - love the System Restore suggestion - why not just tell him to reinstall windows??

Like I said after several useless searches I found this and when i was trying to read I realized that there was a floating 'OPEN' or some other 'PROMPT' button floating on my screen on top of my window - it was white and not easy to see and well it appears to have been from Microsoft Security Essentials - I had 3 programs running and every attempt to access whatever was not on top yielded the flashing orange no you can't see it '!!@#!#@' unless you minimize etc.

Once I clicked the 'OPEN' button - then Microsoft Security Essentials popped up on top and wanted me to do a scan.  It did not show up as a running program on the bar as it is in the try so.. no task button to select.

I believe it popped up and I was doing something (gosh why would a program just pop up when I am typing and steal the focus?) as I say I was typing so it almost immediately was pushed to the background - except for the little white button floating on my white word doc - almost invisible.  Once this state occurred I was unable to switch tasks till I hit that button.  When the user minimizes the task switch function works but there is no way to see that MSE is the issue.

System Restore... yeah that fixes everyting

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hello Myurkus,
The next time you face such problem try uninstalling and reinstalling the video driver..Hope this solves the problem ..It worked for me..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 25,518 Applies to: