Black square in top right hand corner of monitor

windows running ok, next day very slow, I attempted to fixt it . A black screen appeared in top right hand corner of minitor. I cannot remove it (it looks like it wants to display web-cam or streaming) but it shows nothing, blocks the monitor and I don't know what i pressed for it to appear and cannot remove it, anyone any ideas please

Answer
Answer

Hi,

·        Does the black square appear every time you restart the computer?

·        Does this happen in safe mode?

Method 1:

Boot into safe mode and check whether the issue persists.

a.      Restart computer and keep tapping F8 till you reach the boot option.

b.     Select Safe mode from the list and check whether the issue still persists.

After safe mode, I would suggest you to perform a clean boot. Follow method 2.

Method 2:

It might be some background process that is running on the system is causing this problem. I would suggest you to do a clean boot and check if the issue is resolved.

a.   Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights

b.   Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password or click Continue 

c.   On the General tab, click Selective Startup and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

d.   On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box and then click Disable all

Note:Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

a.   After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

b.   Click start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

c.   On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

d.   When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

If the issue is resolved, check which third party program is causing this issue. For further reference check the article mentioned below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Thank you and Regards.

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2024 Views 40,014 Applies to: