Bing dynamic themes not working. Error 404 on themeserver?

I went to download the Bing dynamic theme and some other dynamic themes, but when I download them and then apply them and click to download images it stays black, no images. I researched this on the internet and read a page about a CCleaner problem, I don't have this but i tried it anyways.

I deleted the themes, deleted the files in Feeds en emptied the Enclosure folder. When I download the theme again and choose yes to download attached files, the file in Feeds gets created OK, the folder in Enclore is made but stays empty.

When I edit the theme file I find the link for the RSS feed with the images.
http://themeserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx?p=Bing&c=Desktop&m=en-US

However when I open this I get an error 404, so it seems normal to me that images don't get downloaded because the themeserver is broken at the moment. Or is it just me who gets this 404 error?  Thanks for your response.

PS: I you already got bing dynamic theme, the images show fine because you already have them. Try downloading another dynamic one, you hadn't tried before. They all stay black for me.

Server Error

|
Answer
Answer

POSSIBLE FIX!!!!?

First Delete ALL dynamic RSS themes in Personalization! To delete, pick a NON RSS theme and select it then go back to the RSS one and right click, select  delete. Repeat this entire step for all RSS themes to make sure all are deleted.

Now, Open IE10 (maybe IE9 too?) in Windows 8 (maybe Windows 7 too?), go to favorites (star icon) and click on feeds. Scroll until you find any feeds that are http://themeserver.microsoft.com/... and right click and select delete. Go back to Personalization and redownload just 1 RSS dynamic feed, then go back to feeds in IE and select the theme RSS and right click on it, go to properties and the RSS feed properties windows that pops-up should show the feeds address, etc. Make sure that under Update Schedule and select the first dot (Use Default Schedule Default 1 day), then just to the right click on Setting and a new popup windows will come up. Now in to top box, make sure that a check mark is in there and select 1 day! Close out all popups now and go make to the favorites (the star) and click on feeds, right click on the theme feeds and select refresh. Now go back to the Personalization and double click on the 1 dynamic RSS feed that you picked and see if it downloads the pics. It may a minute. If it does not, go back to favorites (that star again :) ) and select feeds and find the theme feed and do the refresh ALL this time and see if that works. If not, then I did not help :(...If so then repeat all the steps above for another RSS theme...remember pick 1 theme, no more....then do the steps. If the second RSS theme works, then repeat the steps for a another RSS theme, etc.

IMPORTANT!!! If you use CCleaner or other cleaners (even IE itself under options to delete the temp folder contents) it is cleaning the windows temp folder, this will cause all that you have done to mess up again, because windows is putting RSS theme pics in the temp folder!!

I am currently using CCleaner and that is why the dynamic RSS themes are not showing pics! Currently I am search on the net for a way to exclude CCleaner from cleaning the particular location of the pics. The pics are are stored in a super hidden folder. The only way to access this folder is to:

1. Open Windows Explorer.

2. Copy the following path:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Enclosure

3. Paste this into the Address bar and press Enter.

4. When that folder opens, you will see a folder with a long alphanumeric number. Double click that folder to open.

The images that have been downloaded will be in that folder.

If some knows of a way to keep CCleaner from removing that hidden folder "Enclosure" please let me know!!! I cannot get CCleaner manual entry to exclude a folder to work... :(

Anyway, I hope this helps. Please respond!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
After following these instructions you will need to delete your feeds. You can do that by going to C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Feeds, look for any "http://themeserver.microsoft.com/..." feeds.

It's an old thread, but the information still works.
http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=29310

"I just found out that if you have the Windows 7 theme "Bing Dynamic" (the one that uses an rss feed), and run CCleaner, the theme will stop working correctly, meaning it will no longer display the pictures downloaded via the rss feed of the theme, this happens because the feed will not redownload files marked as downloaded (blame Internet Explorer for this).

But I found a workaround, in CCleaner -> Options -> Exclude you have to add the folder c:\users\[your username]\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet fles

If you can't find the folder you have to go to the folder options in explorer and enable the "show files and hidden folders" or just add a random folder and then change to the folder mentioned below.

Once you add the correct folder right-click the entry and select "manual edit" and add the following to the end of the text \Enclosure\{8EEA3A94-C94E-4379-9B54-FA51A0C655BC}\*.jpg

It will now look something like this:

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Enclosure\{8EEA3A94-C94E-4379-9B54-FA51A0C655BC}\*.jpg
I believe I have mine set to exclude "C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Enclosure\*.*". I can't check right now as I'm not on my Win 7 computer.

This will make CCleaner not erase the folder containing the Bing Dynamic image files, and thus the theme will keep updating whenever new photos come out keeping the older ones, but still eliminate the temporary internet files from Internet Explorer.

In the future, if you add more rss themes, or create one yourself that uses an rss feed, you have to find the correct folder name in the "Enclosure" folder in "Temporary Internet Files" and use the method above to add it to the exclusion table in CCleaner."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2019 Views 2,759 Applies to: